Friday, January 11, 2008

Sew Crafty Friday for January 11


For Sew Crafty Friday today, my crafts have a definite recycling twist to them -- a literal twist ( twist tie) in the case of the bows. I didn’t plan it this way, but as it happens, the only crafts I have finished this week are these from recycled materials.

I’ve been working on a rag quilt and it is about 1/3 done, so maybe next week I can share that. I’ve also been working on an embroidered flour-sack towel and on the backstitching of my cross-stitch “Country Baking” sampler.

But here is what I’ve finished:

These bows are made of all sorts of bits and pieces left over from Christmas wrapping and crafting. I found the instructions on the Oh Christmas! crafting forum. I am not going to try and post the link here, because whenever I try to put more than one link in a post, Blogger gives me fits by trying to combine the two links. I can eventually straighten it out, but it takes awhile. If you are interested in making some of these bows yourself, then go to my Christmas blog, Mrs. T’s Christmas Kitchen (link is in sidebar here) and you will find the link to the bow instructions.

The first two bows contain some vintage ribbon and trim from my grandmother’s stash (which I inherited) as well as some newer materials.

This blue and silver bow may be my favorite of the four that I’ve made so far.
I also made some envelopes out of old calendar pages. This is the time to take down those 2007 calendars and toss them, but I hate doing that if the pictures are really pretty. In past years I have used them in Sunday School classrooms, crafts, verse visuals, etc. but I really have all I need of those, so I turned these into envelopes. It’s easy and quick to do. Then I just stick a blank label on them where the address can be written. You can buy a special lick and stick glue to be used on envelopes, but I usually just seal mine with a glue stick or double stick tape.
That’s about it for my craftiness this week. What about you? If you have managed to accomplish or even start any crafting, then head on over to Waiting for Him and share your projects. Shereen and others will be eager to see what you have to share.

Happy Crafting!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. T! Your bows are so pretty, I love the Merry Christmas on the ribbon! I think it's so neat that you had some of your grandmother's stash.
    I had totally forgotten about calendar envelopes, thank you for the reminder. I know what I will be doing tomorrow. :0)
    Hugs,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelli!

    So nice to see you here! That "Merry Christmas" was an afterthought; I just thought that the tails of the ribbon needed something, and that turned out to be it!

    Maybe sometime I will share some of the neat things I've inherited in my grandmother's sewing stuff for Show & Tell. I actually use a lot of it because I know she would prefer that it be used, not hoarded.

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those bows are gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your bows are beautiful. I never thought to make envelopes from calendars. What a neat idea. Thank you for sharing!

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:58 PM

    Your bows are so pretty and I love the calendar envelopes. I was just about to throw my calendars away. Thanks for the recycling reminder. My kids will love making those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, ladies!

    It is so nice to see you all here at my kitchen table! I am glad you enjoyed seeing the bows and envelopes.

    Ginny, have fun making envelopes with the kids. If you check Kelli's blog, There is No Place Like Home, you'll see not only some envelopes that she made, but also some notecards that she made to match, using scraps from the calendars. Really neat!

    Stop by again, everyone!

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.