Saturday, January 19, 2008

Basic Formula for Granola


I promised to post my basic formula for making granola. I’ve adapted this somewhat from the More With Less Cookbook, a Mennonite cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre. I highly recommend this book. I believe it’s out of print, but it has many wonderful recipes and ideas for cooking frugally and healthfully.

BASIC FORMULA FOR GRANOLA

Preheat oven to 300º.

Combine in large bowl: 7 cups dry ingredients, including:

* At least 3 cups rolled oats
* Wheat germ
* Wheat bran or oat bran
* Cornmeal
* Grape-nuts or other cold cereal
* Uncooked hot cereals, like Ralston, Wheatena, etc.
* Sunflower seeds
* Roasted pumpkin seeds
* Shredded coconut
* Any chopped nuts, or whole peanuts
* Dry milk solids
* Spices like cinnamon or nutmeg

Combine separately: 1 cup liquids. including as desired:

* Canola oil or melted butter (I find about 1/2 cup works best)
* Honey
* Maple syrup
* Brown sugar (use 1/2 cup with 2 Tblsp water)
* Molasses
* Peanut butter
* Milk or cream

and 1 teaspoon vanilla.

(If desired, you may heat the liquids together until they are warm. A good idea when using some of the thicker items like peanut butter or molasses.)

Pour the combined liquids over the dry ingredients and stir to combine well. Spread mixture into a greased 13x9-inch pan and bake for 1 hour at 300º, stirring every 15 minutes.

Remove pan from oven; stir in, as desired:

* Raisins, either dark or golden
* Chopped dates
* Chopped dried apricots, dried apples, prunes, figs, etc.
* Dried cranberries or cherries
* Any other dried fruits you might like to use.

Cool the mixture before storing in an airtight container.

I have made countless batches of this granola over the years. My family loves it. I hope yours does, too.

5 comments:

  1. Mmm...I love homemade granola, Mrs. T! Thank you for the recipe, I love all the options!
    Hugs,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:38 AM

    I just found your blog and have started back at the very beginning. You have such a lovely way of relating childhood memories. I have saved you in my favorites and am looking forward to some enjoyable and entertaining reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ladies,

    Thanks so much for stopping by my kitchen table! Kelli, I hope you will have fun with all the granola options. This is definitely the best recipe I have ever found for granola.

    Judy, I am so happy you are enjoying your visit at my kitchen table. I will look forward to seeing you here again!

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mrs.T. I love to make granola, but I would like to have it come out in "clumps' instead of grains, if you know what I mean. Does your recipe come out fine or lumpy. Perhaps you know what is the main secret to getting it one way or the other.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm... Well, I guess my recipe must be a sort of cross between fine and lumpy. I really wouldn't call it fine; there are some clumps, but not really clusters like you see in some cereals.

    My guess would be that the difference in the outcome has to do with the stirring. I stir mine every 15 minutes. Maybe if you stirred less often it would be more clumpy. I also think that if you let the granola cool undisturbed -- no stirring after it's finished baking, in other words --, you would probably end up with clumpier cereal. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.