Saturday, January 12, 2008

When the path is steep...




Last year I bought on clearance, sight unseen, a calendar with the theme of “Pathways”. It featured lovely photographs of different roads, trails and paths all over the countryside. Along with each photograph was a quote concerning pathways. Some of the quotes were nice. Others I didn’t like as well, so I would write a Scripture verse I found more meaningful on a blank label and stick it over the quote.

Apparently I had never looked at the quote for January, since I got the calendar on a clearance sale and must not have hung it up until February. This past week I was making the calendar pages into envelopes, and happened upon this quote:

“When life’s path is steep,
keep your mind even.”

This is a quotation from the Roman poet Horace, who wrote before the time of Christ. I had never read this quote before, but it reminded me that when life’s path is steep, there is only one way to keep one’s mind even, and that is to keep it stayed upon God.

“Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.
“Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength.” (Isaiah 26:3-4)

“Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in His commandments...
“He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD.
“His heart is established, he shall not be afraid...” (Psalm 112:1, 7-8a)

Are you facing a steep path in this new year? Is your path steep today? The path I see ahead of me is steeper than I feel comfortable with. Truly, the only way to climb a steep path successfully is to stay one’s mind upon God. May He help us all to do just that when we face a steep path.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:48 PM

    Good evening! Your site is one that I read just about every day along with a few others which I really enjoy. I wanted to comment on the Lord's peace. It is so wonderful. This was His gift to me back in 1988 when I became born again and had the most awesome, wonderful experience. There has been none like it since!

    I am trying to eat better this year and wanted to make some old-fashioned oatmeal. I remembered you had previously posted a recipe. Well, let me tell you that this was the BEST oatmeal I believe I have ever had. Yes, I too love raisins and walnuts in my oatmeal.

    Thank you so very much for being faithful in your postings. What an inspiration you are.

    Sharon from Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, it is so nice to hear from you again! Thank you for sharing your personal experience with the "peace that passes understanding" -- the peace that only God can give.

    I am so glad you enjoyed the oatmeal. That was the hot apple oatmeal, right? It is one of my favorite ways to enjoy oatmeal, too.

    Thank you so much for your sweet and thoughtful comments.

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.