Monday, August 21, 2006

A simple supper

Family suppers don’t have to be elaborate to be tasty and filling. Some nights (and Monday is one of them!) just call for a simple meal. Tonight I adapted a recipe I saw in a magazine to use what I had on hand, and it turned out to be delicious. Along with this skillet meal, I served sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, and Italian bread & butter. I used lowfat kielbasa and cheese, so it was relatively healthy, too.

SIMPLE PIEROGI SUPPER

1 package (16.9 oz.) frozen pierogies
7 to 8 ounces kielbasa, diced
1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise, sliced 1/4-inch thick
1 to 2 green onions, sliced thin
Garlic powder to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 Tblsp. shredded cheddar cheese

Cook pierogies according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the diced kielbasa with the squash, zucchini and seasonings for 5 minutes or until the squash is tender. Drain the pierogies and add them to the skillet; combine with vegetables and heat through. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese before serving.
Yield: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.