Saturday, September 09, 2006

A Friday night supper

Last night I prepared a very simple meal to cap off a difficult week. I made so many changes in the recipes I chose -- Cheese Ravioli with Veggies, and Fruit and Nut Tossed Salad -- that I simply had to write them down before I forgot them. The ravioli recipe in particular is extremely versatile, and I recommend it for anyone who’d like to serve their family an easy, inexpensive main course. Both recipes originally appeared in QUICK COOKING. Here they are:

CHEESE RAVIOLI WITH VEGGIES

1 16-oz, pkg. frozen vegetables (we like the asparagus stir-fry blend from Walmart, but use whatever you like)*
1 25-oz. pkg. frozen miniature cheese ravioli
1 to 2 Tblsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. seasoning of your choice**
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Fill a large saucepan or Dutch oven with water and bring it to a boil. Add the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the ravioli and cook for 5 to 7 minutes longer, until the vegetables and ravioli are tender. Drain the mixture in a colander, then return the veggies and ravioli to the saucepan. Gently stir in the olive oil, then the seasoning and Parmesan. Yield: 6 servings.

* I usually use an entire package of one vegetable blend as called for here, but this time I had leftover veggies I wanted to use up. I didn’t think the two kinds of veggies I had left over -- some green beans and some asparagus blend -- would be quite enough, so I reached into the freezer and found some lima beans and some chopped onions to add. I cooked these in the boiling water as the recipe directs, but of course the leftover vegetables were already cooked. So I just heated those in the microwave and stirred them in with the olive oil and seasonings.

** Seasoning could be whatever you like -- Mrs. Dash®, garlic pepper, lemon pepper, Italian seasoning or whatever. I used a McCormick Grinder -- the pizza blend, and it was wonderful.


FRUIT and NUT TOSSED SALAD

1 large or 2 medium bunches romaine, torn in bite-size pieces
1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained
1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (I toast nuts in the microwave -- quick & easy)

Dressing:
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 Tblsp. vegetable oil
3 Tblsp. sugar

In a large bowl combine all of the salad ingredients and gently toss together. Put all of the dressing ingredients in a small jar. Cover securely and shake to combine. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat ingredients with dressing. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

This is a delicious salad! It’s also very good served with a Mexican meal -- the light, fruity taste is a nice contrast to the spicy hot flavors.

Along with this meal I served seven-grain bread. Hope others enjoy these recipes as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.