Saturday, December 03, 2011

Delights of December Day 3 ~ Simple but fancy cookies for your cookie trays!



These cookies are easy but very pretty and fancy looking.  The first one starts with a baked pan of brownies.  My mother (who invented these as far as I know) always used the brownie recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook, but certainly it will work with any brownie recipe or even a brownie mix. 

The second idea is one I heard on Gus Saunders' Yankee Kitchen radio program, which I often listened to years ago.  Someone called in this idea, which uses purchased fig bars, and I tried it.  Delicious, pretty, and almost no work.

Here are two ideas that will make your cookie plates look fancy with very little work on your part:

1) Poinsettia Brownies

My mother always made these to add to her gift trays of cookies at Christmas. Bake brownies as usual and let them cool. Before cutting, frost the brownies with a simple white butter frosting and mark them into squares. Using slices of candied cherries (note: NOT maraschino cherries, which could make quite a mess), form poinsettias on the top of each square. Cut the brownies along the marked lines. You can make this even simpler by using brownie mix and canned frosting.

2) Fancy Fig Cookies

These start with purchased fig bars (like Fig Newtons®). Cut the bars in half lengthwise to make sticks, or in half diagonally to make triangles. Dip the pieces in melted chocolate, then in chopped nuts. Place on foil-lined baking sheets and chill until chocolate is set.

Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the ideas Mrs T...I love fig bars and had never considered dipping them!!yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy these if you try them, Arlene! I think figs and chocolate taste great together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.