|The new bag in use|
|The previous clothespin bag I made probably a half dozen years ago. It had faded to a dull gray and the fabric became so weak it was constantly ripping and was full of holes. Every time I used it, clothespins fell out.|
My search did yield another, very simple pattern which I had printed out years ago. This simple clothespin bag is made from a kitchen towel and a wooden clothes hanger. I knew I had wooden hangers on hand -- my great-aunt had given me a bunch of them a long time ago. I wasn't sure I had any dishtowels in my fabric stash, though. Then I remembered some kitchen linens that had come from my grandmother originally. They were thick textured cotton with a colorful design of tulips, windmills and so on. I had used some of these as dresser or bureau scarves in the past as they were really too thick to work as a dishtowel and too dense to be a hand towel. And they were stained in places. It seemed to me that putting one of these to work as a clothespin bag would give it a useful new life. Best of all, it was just enough wider than my wooden hanger to work perfectly with the pattern.
|The finished bag. You can see what a pretty print this towel is.|
I'm not completely thrilled with this bag -- it is a lot bigger and less compact than the old one -- but it is hard-working, sturdy and cheerful-looking. Best of all, it cost nothing (same cost as the previous one!) and recycled a couple of older items. It is truly a vintage project!