Thursday, September 08, 2016

Three words for fall

image source
In my recent "quote of the day" post, I mentioned a wonderful post that I had read by Christa at Brown Sugar Toast about The Importance of Saying No to Good Things.  Christa wrote about a fall planning workbook she is using.  It's by Jess Connolly and can be downloaded for free here: Fall Into Freedom.  I downloaded this and I believe I am going to find it very helpful.  With my dad now in a nursing home -- though there are still plenty of details I must attend to for him -- the several-times-daily care has diminished and I find myself with a little extra time.  So I want to be very, very sure, more sure than ever, that I am using my time wisely.

Christa challenged her readers with the question, "Have you taken time to think through your next season of life?" She wrote, "Taking time to pray and write out goals for the next months can be a very grounding experience as you prepare for upcoming responsibilities, potential changes, and holidays. As you think through what the Lord has given you to accomplish during this next season, take time to pray through what He wants you to say NO to…even if it’s a good thing."

Don't hesitate because "fall is already here."  It's not really! According to the calendar, fall doesn't really begin until September 22 this year.  We get so used to thinking that fall is all of September, all of October, and all of November, but that's not the case.  I'm as excited for cooler weather and all things apple cider and pumpkin spice as the next person, but I'm going to take Christa's wise advice and pray and prepare for this season.

I've begun by doing as Jess suggests in her Fall Into Freedom workbook, picking three words that I would like to describe my fall season, words that can set the tone for the season.  I found this to be a tough assignment, but I needed to do it in order to get started.  Initially I had thought of the words decluttering, decompressing, and delighting.  But after thinking it through a little more, I came up with these three:

PRODUCTIVE:  I desperately need to get things sorted and decluttered at my dad's house.  Not doing a major "clean-out" of everything at this time, because there's always the possibility he could return home.  But sorting out much of what's there, throwing out all trash, and donating many items -- I'd like to have accomplished all that by the end of fall.  When I finish that, I hope to do the same at my own home.  I would also like to finish a few craft projects that have been neglected for months.

RESTORATIVE:   I pray for this to be a restorative season in many areas of life.  My energy levels have been depleted.  Years of eldercare responsibilities have taken their toll mentally, emotionally, and physically.  For the past few months I've been practicing intermittent fasting, which is helping with my energy level and should help even more if I can begin walking and exercising more in the cooler months of fall.  I'll be attending two ladies' retreats, a couples' retreat with Mr. T, and having a three-day getaway with him -- all happening this fall!  All of those should be wonderfully restorative.

APPRECIATIVE:  I want to be intentionally appreciative of all that God is doing in my life; appreciative of all that He gives me; appreciative of the people in my life; and appreciative of every detail of His beautiful creation, among other things.  With the outstanding beauty that is autumn in New England, not to mention the celebration of Thanksgiving in this season, it's a time when appreciativeness flows naturally.

The second section of the workbook deals with things we'd like to accomplish before the season begins, so I will be working on that next.  I'm very hopeful for this coming season!

What about you?  Have you taken time to think through your next season of life?  I encourage you to do so.  It's not too late!



4 comments:

  1. I love your choice of words. I too would have initially come up with your other choices. I have been traveling a similar path for the past few years, but I like your more positive choices of words. They can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that interesting, Sandy, that you would have chosen the same words as I did initially? This exercise was a good reminder to me of the difference between just winging it and jumping into things versus taking time to really consider and pray about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can think about is The Ponderosa. It is this season's and next season's work. Hopefully, not longer, but it could be. So if I were to do this...I'd be thinking about how to keep The Haven on an even keel while I give most hours of the day to the ranch. Have you already started Christmas shopping? ;>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Vee, the Ponderosa is definitely your priority for work right now. And keeping things on an even keel as best you can at the Haven. I've looked after two places for awhile now and it's very difficult, but what you are trying to accomplish is even more challenging.

      Have you thought about three words for fall? You could do that part of it, if nothing else.

      And no, I haven't really started Christmas shopping. I have a few things set aside for people,and a few ideas, but that's it so far!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.