Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Sandwiching in the Wednesday Medley

  Yes, today is 
NATIONAL OREO COOKIE DAY
They tell us to be ready to observe the day by having our glasses of milk handy as it is National Oreo Cookie Day.  This day is recognized across the nation each year on March 6th.

(I must admit I have neither Oreos nor milk on hand.  We ran out of milk last night, and I never drink it anyway, so I will not be celebrating this day appropriately!)
As we all know, the Oreo sandwich cookie is made up of two chocolate disks containing a sweet cream filling and is loved by millions.  Since its introduction, the Oreo cookie has become the best-selling cookie in the United States.
The National Biscuit Company (today known as Nabisco) first developed and produced the “Oreo Biscuit” in 1912 at its Chelsea factory in New York City. Today, the block on which the factory was located is known as “Oreo Way”.
 So I'm sandwiching in time to write a blog post for the Wednesday Medley with its Oreo cookie theme.  Would you like to join in too?  Head on over to  at Your Friend from Florida!   Terri asks the questions and bloggers come up with their own answers. 

Just go over to Terri's blog, get the questions, then copy, paste, and answer them on your own blog.  Then you can go back to Terri's and link up, if you like.   Here goes!
1.  Are you able to pass by a plate of cookies and not take one or are you a bit of a 'Cookie Monster'?
There are cookies I can pass by, and then there are cookies that I cannot pass by.  I can pass by almost any storebought cookie (other that Girl Scout cookies or maybe the maple leaf cookies by Dare).  I could pass by a plate of homemade cookies too depending on what kind they are.

But I could not  pass by these: Lemon Thumbprint Cookies that I tried for the first time this past Christmas.

2.  Tell us about your favorite cookie. Have your tastes changed since you were a kid?
I think that they probably have.  When I was a kid there did not seem to be as many varieties of homemade (and definitely not as many varieties of store bought) cookies as now.   My grandmother made a chocolate cookie that we all loved, a cake-like dark chocolate drop cookie which she frosted with a shiny white icing.  Back then, I probably would have said those were my favorite cookie.
It's funny but I don't even really like soft cookies anymore, except possibly for a good molasses drop cookie.  I much prefer a chewy, not necessarily crunchy cookie.  Like these below, that I created to resemble a favorite cookie from the hometown bakery of my childhood:
Find my recipe here: Toffee Crackle Cookies.
3.  Enquiring minds want to know if you are a dunker and, if so, do you dunk in milk, coffee, or tea?
I am not really a dunker.  Guess I might occasionally do so with a really crunchy cookie like a biscotti, but in general, I don't dunk.   And I would never dunk a cookie or anything else in milk, as I just don't drink it.
4.  It is that time of year and they are selling them on every corner and in front of every store!  Do you buy Girl Scout cookies and if you do, which is your favorite?
We haven't purchased any this year (those boxes DO seem to get smaller every year!) but we usually do.  Samoas are probably our favorite.  If, like us, you crave the taste of Samoas year round, give these a try:  Homemade Samoa Bars!  The recipe is from Jocelyn at  Inside BruCrew Life, one of the most prolific bakers out there.

 But we like the thin mint Girl Scout cookies a lot also.

And -- for an even better chocolate mint cookie, try these: Chocolate Mint Crisps.  They are actually not all that crispy, more chewy with the mint glaze on top.  Highly recommended!
 

 
5.  Raw cookie dough.  Yay or Nay? 
  I know that nowadays it's not just the raw eggs that are the issue with raw cookie dough.  Now FLOUR has issues!  This is just plain unacceptable!  So ... should I even admit this?  I do occasionally taste the raw cookie dough.  I guess I should probably be more concerned about it than I am.
I definitely wouldn't eat the "dough" for these crocheted Oreos (above and below) that I made for the grandkids.
6.  Please tell us something random about your week!!
Still winter up here.   It is nice, however, to see the sun brighter and stronger and having a melting effect on all the snow.  My hubby plows our driveway and yard with an aging plow truck but he is literally running out of places to put the snow.  On Saturday he hired a neighbor to come up with a tractor and bucket and move our snow around in advance of Monday's storm.
 
Our snowy woods

And there's this week's Wednesday Medley!

8 comments:

  1. Those knitted oreo's are adorable! The lemon thumbprints look absolutely divine! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! The crocheted cookies were very easy to make. I have made tons of felt food and crocheted food for my grandkids over the years. I still have several who are young enough to enjoy it, so I really should make more.

      And yes, those lemon thumbprints are amazing! I must make more as I still have a half jar of lemon curd to use up.

      Delete
  2. I am not a milk drinker either Mrs T but I cannot pass by a double stuffed oreo.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I'm very thankful that I can take oreos or leave them. But there are plenty of other cookies that I can't pass by!

      Delete
  3. my grands love those soft frosted sugar cookies so available at Wal*Mart bakeries and now even my local grocery store bakery. I think they are disgusting. My daughter-in-law agrees with me, but mys son, daughter, and grands really like them.

    I, too enjoy Samoas and Thin Mints, but I will not be purchasing any this year. Your offerings sound much more delicious.

    My favorite cookie is a crunchy outside, chewy inside number. Anything with that criteria from chocolate chip to molasses to oatmeal to peanut butter...I’m in.

    Yes, space is getting to be a premium. I am certainly hoping and praying that we don’t have too many more events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your favorite type of cookie is the same as mine ... crunchy without, chewy within.

      My hubby enjoys those soft frosted sugar cookies you mentioned. I had bought a package back in the summer on clearance ... strawberry lemonade I believe it was. The only time I have ever bought them. He really liked them, but then, he never met a cookie he didn't like.

      More snow yesterday. Interestingly, they didn't even call it a winter weather event until it was well underway!

      Delete
  4. Yes, homemade cookies are always best but I do buy ready made sometimes. Those lemon cookies look so good, I saved the recipe. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are good! I hope you enjoy the cookies if you try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.