Monday, March 18, 2019

Weekend baking report: Chocolate Chai Tea Loaf and more


Photo from Taste of Home
This Sunday it was my turn to provide the snacks for our coffee break at church.  I made several baked items in addition to taking cheese and crackers and a large container of fresh strawberries.

All of the baked goods went over well, but this Chocolate Chai Tea Loaf was absolutely amazing.  Thankfully I had left one smaller loaf at home!

I made just a couple of tiny changes in this recipe which is linked above.  Instead of 2 ounces of chopped semisweet chocolate, I just used 2 ounces (1/3 cup) of semisweet chocolate chips because it was simpler.  Also -- the chai latte tea mix (Oregon Chai)  I used came in packets, so I measured it by the tablespoon right from the packet.  When it came to the frosting, the recipe called for only 1 tablespoon, but there was more than that left in the package -- nearly another tablespoon, I would say.  I just used it all in the frosting rather than have a small amount left in the packet.  No doubt it gave the frosting a more pronounced flavor of tea and spices, but it was delicious!  Also, I made this recipe gluten free by means of the Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 gluten free baking flour.
Although I carefully measured my loaf pans to be sure they were the size called for in the recipe, I still ended up with batter left over, so I used another, smaller loaf pan for the extras.  If you didn't have one, you could probably make a couple of muffins with the excess batter.
πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“
Since yesterday was St. Patrick's Day, I also took along a pan of Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread which also went over very well.  It goes over well at home, so I was pretty sure people at church would also enjoy it.  This recipe doesn't rise as high as traditional Irish soda bread, but it has a rugged rustic look.
πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“
And then lastly I made a pan of very simple Cheese Danish.  Here is what you need for this recipe:

SIMPLE CHEESE DANISH SQUARES
2 cans crescent roll dough
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup melted butter
Cinnamon-sugar for the top

Unroll 1 can of the crescent rolls and press into the bottom of an ungreased 13x9 pan.  Press carefully to seal all of the perforations.

In a bowl combine the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla.  A beater will work but using a wooden spoon works just as well.  Spread the cream cheese over the dough in the pan.

Open the second can of crescent rolls and arrange the dough over the top.  Seal perforations if you can, but you don't have to get too finicky about it.

Spread the melted butter over the top as evenly as you can, then sprinkle liberally with cinnamon-sugar.  Bake at 350ΒΊ for 25 to 30 minutes.

These always go over well.  I have a perfectly wonderful recipe for traditional Cheese Danish pastries (find it here: Cheese Danish) but it is a lot of work.  I may make those for Easter, but for just an ordinary Sunday the quick recipe works fine.

And that was my weekend baking!  You might enjoy trying these recipes, too.

4 comments:

  1. All of these recipes has made me very hungry! I like the fact that you made them gluten free as well, as it seems so many people are struggling with gluten issues these days! It is getting easier and more accessible to make recipes that both the gluten-free and everyone else can eat. The Chai loves sound amazing! I do love a good cup of chai tea. The Cheese Danishes sound really yummy too, and quite easy to make! Sounds like you had a fun weekend of baking, and thank you for sharing your tried and true recipes :) Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure looks good as I sit here munching on an apple, trying to be good. I wanted to let you know we are putting off our Maine trip to next summer. We had three trips this year and we thought it would be best for our pocket books to wait a year for a bigger trip. I am looking forward to it and hope to come in June or July. My thought is it will be cool there while it is hot here.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks absolutely scrummy... I love Chai and I can imagine adding it to a cake would be a hit!
    So lovely to stop by for a visit with you, Mrs T! Have a wonderfully blessed week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a lot of baking! Those Cheese Danishes sound especially good. ☕️

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.