Wednesday, September 14, 2022

A honey of a Hodgepodge

 


Wednesday again, and time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.  This week's questions are all over the place, so they should be fun to answer.  Here goes!

1. What's something you've learned from a younger person? 

Oh, probably many things.  One, I guess, would be from my young friend Jennifer.  She speaks so graciously and sweetly.  I could take many lessons from her regarding speech.

2. Are you a perfectionist? Elaborate? 

Most definitely not. I could be.  Both my mother and grandmother were perfectionists and I have definite tendencies toward perfectionism.  But the older I get, the more I have come to see perfectionism as a sin.  I don't believe the lie that if something is worth doing it must be done perfectly.  It is better to do something imperfectly than not to do it at all.

That said, I remember having a discussion with a friend who quilts.  She noted that perfectionism is important in sewing, especially quilting, because all one's seams need to intersect at particular points for the design to work.  My own take on that is that exactness and accuracy are important for quilting, but I don't see that as perfectionism.

from Abby at Little Birdie Blessings
3. What makes you cringe? 

Quite a few things are cringe-worthy these days.  Just to name one, everyday speech in our culture is so filled with crudities.  We would do well to heed the Scriptural principle in the verse below.

4. September is National Honey month...do you have bees and make your own? Know someone who has bees and they share? Your favorite thing made with honey? 

Nope, we don't have bees, although we do know folks who do. They occasionally do share honey and it's very good, but I'm not a huge fan of honey as an ingredient.  My hubby likes it in coffee in place of sugar.

5. Where is your happy place? 

We actually have several, but for many years our happiest place has been Back Lake, way up north in the town of Pittsburg, New Hampshire.  It's several hours away but we so enjoy time there.  In fact, we have a few days booked at our favorite place in October.


Nowadays, our second happiest place is our own little camp, located only about 15 minutes from home, so we can go there pretty much whenever we like.

A third happy place for us is The Wilds of New England.  We enjoy helping out there, but getting to attend a couple's retreat there is blissful indeed.  Like a series of mini-dates all combined with encouraging Bible teaching that is a blessing to our marriage.

View from a TWNE hayride

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I'll be sharing more in the coming days, but we had a great visit with our Nevada loved ones. Below is a photo of eleven grandkids (7 from NV and 4 from NH) on a covered bridge in Littleton, NH.

The little clown in red was intentionally varying his expression constantly while the picture was being taken, so this rather odd look is what the camera captured. 

And there is this week's all-over-the-place Hodgepodge!

6 comments:

  1. Fun times with grands ranks very high on my list. I agree that corners matching in quilting is more accuracy than perfection. Perfection is a much deeper issue...one I struggled with for years. I am with you -let it go. It is a sin and way too hard on oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to have so much family all in the same place at the same time! Your lake pics are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing your grandkids, and they look like a wonderful and happy bunch. What a blessing you were all able to be together! I love the scenes from the lake, the camp, the field (hayride), etc. It's all so wonderful. You are truly blessed to live where you do, (especially in the fall...winter, well, it is what it is...). Thank you for sharing with us. Have a blessed rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your happy places sound wonderful. We have booked a B&B in North East Arkansas for mid October. It belongs to a friend of ours so we look forward to seeing some Fall color while seeing an old friend, but the highpoint for us will be spending a few days away together. What a joy to have so many of your grands together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great photo of so many grands! They all look happy, except fo that one. 😏 There is no controlling the picture taking of grands. I see this as my things coming around on me for a lifetime of similar behavior. Ao glad that you had a happy visit with your family. I was surprised that your own cottage was second on your list of happy places. Then again, you do have many choices! God bless your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your answers very much. My hubby and I are heading to the New England states the beginning of October for 10 days. I'm hoping we get some pretty colors. He's been worried about the leaves changing and peaking before we get there. I agree with your thoughts on perfection and the quilting example.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.