Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Hodgepodge for February 15

 


 It's Wednesday again, so time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.  This week's Hodgepodge questions are all over the place but I'm tackling them anyway.   Here goes:

 1. Pantone's color of the year for 2023 is Viva Magenta. Etsy's color(s) of the year are indigo and honeycomb. Your thoughts? Would we find any of these three shades in your home or wardrobe? Is there a room in your house that needs painting this year? Will you do it yourself or hire out? 

Viva Magenta (the way Pantone has presented it) to me looks hideous and somewhat hellish.  I think that I do have a magenta shirt that I like a lot, but it's not anywhere near as scary looking as this.  I do like Indigo and Honeycomb.  There is indigo in my wardrobe and possibly in my home as well.   The honeycomb color reminds me of a shirt I had and loved in high school, but my mother informed me it wasn't a flattering color for me.  A couple of years ago I bought a long-sleeve tee in this color (clearance in Wal*Mart) thinking that it might be fine with my gray hair -- I'm still drawn to the color -- but gave it up.  Thankfully I had only paid a few dollars for it.  Back in the 1970s we had a couch cover in this color.  Yes, that's me in the photo below, just 2 days away from giving birth to my youngest.


Many interior walls in our house need work, but we probably will be covering them with pine, not painting them.  Our camp interior walls (the ones that have paint) were repainted in 2020 but they are looking like they could use another coat.  The exterior walls need repairing, scraping, and painting badly.  We will do it ourselves, of course.

2. Something you had to do recently that could be described 'as exciting as watching paint dry'? 

Hmmm ....  I'm drawing a blank.  I don't get bored very easily.

A 1976 paint set cereal premium from Frosted Flakes

3. Who would you most like to sit beside on a 10-hour flight? Tell us why? Have you ever taken a 10-hour flight? 

My hubby would be a good choice because he is good company in any situation.  Other than that, I would say either granddaughter Julia or grandson Josiah because a long trip like that would most likely mean we'd be traveling to Nevada and they'd be looking forward lots of cousin time.  And these two are also good company in any situation.

I think an 8-hour flight may be the longest I have been on.

(You've got to feel confident with a girl who jumps into maple sugaring like this one, and a boy who can put in the time and effort to hatch three ducklings successfully from eggs.)



 4. What's something you did growing up that would get you into trouble? 

Picking on my younger brother. That got me in a lot of trouble over the years, especially after he got taller and bigger than I was.  

5. According to Google the top searches in 2022 were- Wordle, election results, Betty White, Queen Elizabeth, Bob Saget, Ukraine, Mega Millions, Powerball numbers, Anne Heche, and Jeffrey Dahmer. 

Hmmm...what does this say about us? How many of these words did you search last year? What would you guess was your most 'googled' word/phrase/question. 

Very interesting.  As to what it says about people as a whole, we're morbidly curious and greedy.  Also maybe basically uninformed.  And lazy when it comes to research.

 I didn't search any of those words last year.   The only one of those that interests me much is Queen Elizabeth, and I would be more apt to seek out books about her rather than do a google search.   As to what my own searches might be, they usually involve vintage items that I'm trying to price for my Etsy shop.

This note card is one of the recent searches I've done.  I found some fascinating information about the artist.  You can read about this listing here: Fawn and Butterfly note card.  If you don't have time to go there, I'll just share this tidbit: This illustration is by Maurice "Jake" Day, who was a well-known Maine artist. He illustrated many books and magazine articles, and also worked for Walt Disney and other motion picture studios. In fact, while working for Disney he played a big part in the illustrations for the film "Bambi", arranging for two orphaned Maine deer to be shipped to California for the illustrators to use as models. He and a friend also took many photos of wildlife and scenery in Baxter State Park which were used in making the movie.  I found this so interesting and thought others would find it so, too.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Just have to share this link to a recipe I recently tried: Spicy Tomato Pork Chops.   As I've mentioned, we have been eating more meat and a lot less carbs lately.  We had found a great deal on boneless pork chops and I was looking for something a little different to make with them.  

 

Highly recommend this recipe.  It's easy and takes only a few ingredients.  In fact, my hubby (who is more of a baker than a cook) put this together last Tuesday evening when I was involved in a lengthy phone call.   We loved the sauce and how it tastes much more flavorful than one would expect for something prepared in such a short time.  We enjoyed this over cauliflower rice, but if you are not watching carbs it would be yummy over pasta, brown rice, or even mashed potatoes.

 That's the Hodgepodge for this week!


12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post and your pictures of you and your child and child to be born, your grand kids, who do look very industrious and intelligent and sweet, and you and your brother at a much younger age...love your curls! The fawn and butterfly and the story about the artist was very interesting. I love that picture. I looked up the colors of the year. I am not a magenta person at all, never have been and never will be. Being a natural redhead, those vivid hot pink/magenta type colors have never appealed to me or looked good on me. Now indigo and honeycomb I like. I can wear the honeycomb color, but usually only in the fall. I much prefer the indigo. I've noticed that color in furniture a lot lately as well, and we have a beautiful dresser in our family's store, "Dixie Cottage", right now that is painted that color. It is gorgeous! I think we already have a buyer for it and we just got it two days ago! So yes, I'd say it is a popular color. The pork chops look good, but somehow I am not sure it would be something I'd like to make. I tend to steer away from spicy tomato sauce foods these days for digestive reasons. I like it, but it doesn't like me. LOL. Have a blessed and beautiful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good. A bit different.

      Delete
  3. Those pork chops look good and I am going to print the recipe and give them a try. I do think the internet informs, but we're also lazy now. We really never have to wonder about things or figure out much on our own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great black and white of you and your brother. That illustration does remind me of Bambi. Interesting information. The pork chops look good, too. Happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pork chops look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Tell us what you really think about the Pantone Magenta. ☺️ I have several articles of clothing in that color. Abby gave me a scarf in that color and I love it on cold, windy days.

    Seeing your photo beneath the Christmas tree is
    sweet.

    It is nice to choose family members to sit beside for a long flight. What a compliment to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I was a little blunt when it came to the way Pantone presented that color. It seemed to have black overtones ... It just reminded me of the red speech from Philadelphia only with a magenta cast. I do like magenta otherwise. The magenta crayon was always a favorite of mine, and I do have a shirt that color that I really like.

      I've always had a soft spot for that photo and the memories it brings back.

      Yes, I have sat beside some of these people (each of them, actually, at different times) on long flights and that is what I'm basing my choices on.

      Delete
  7. Your comments about the colors reminded me that those harvest gold appliances back in the 70s and 80s were pretty close to what "honeycomb" looks like! haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you're right. The colors always get renamed and come back around!

      Delete
  8. When we first got married, we had hand me down couches...one set was the brown with flowers, and the second set which I actually loved, was a yelllowish color, not sure it was quite honeycomb, but I think it was. Great answers last week. I'm a week behind all my commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.