Monday, February 20, 2023

Another cookbook recommendation -- Weeknight Dinners

 

 Here's another Gooseberry Patch cookbook that I highly recommend -- Weeknight Dinners.  This is one that we had a recipe published in.  I have used this book a great deal since it came into our household, and have gifted copies to others.  One of the favorite recipes I've used over the years is sort of pictured at the top left of the cookbook cover: baked potatoes topped with vegetarian chili.  

This cookbook is divided by type of cuisine: for example, meatless, Italian, Mexican, etc.  In fact, the categories include: Meatless Monday; Tuesday is Tex-Mex Night; Wednesday is Italian Night; Comfort Food Thursday; and Just for Fun Friday.  I've made recipes from each of the chapters.  One thing I love about this book is it has a good number of slow-cooker recipes.  In fact, there are so many that there's a special category for Slow Cookers in the index!

Stir-Fry Veggies & Rotini and Chile Relleno Casserole are recipes from the Meatless Monday chapter that we've greatly enjoyed, in addition to the Chili Baked Potatoes.  I want to make the Cheddar Baked Spaghetti, and the Lentil Brown Rice Tacos have been on my want-to-try list for some time.

In the Tex-Mex Tuesday chapter, I have made a slow-cooker recipe, Tex-Mex Chicken & Rice, countless times.  I can't eat frozen corn, so I substituted a can of black beans, drained and rinsed, for the corn.  This meal is delicious and I have often taken it to church potlucks.  Shredded Mexican Chicken is made in a slow cooker also and is perfect for tacos, enchiladas, taco salads, or any Mexican dish.  South-of-the-Border Rice makes a perfect accompaniment to many Mexican dishes, and I have prepared it many times.  Chicken Tortilla Soup was also published along with a review of this cookbook by my friend Linda at Prairie Flower Farm.  It's a really delicious and easy slow-cooker recipe.  

Another nice thing about this cookbook is that not only does it feature main dishes, but also sides, salads, a few breads, and desserts.  In the Tex-Mex section is a recipe for a dessert called Tim's Apple Burrito -- really just a huge apple turnover that serves 5 to 6 and sounds amazing!

Wednesday is Italian Night is a fun chapter filled with want-to-try recipes.  I've made Yummy Chicken Italiano -- another slow cooker dish -- for church potlucks and it goes over well.  Creamy Tomato Tortellini is another I've tried.  It's meatless but so scrumptious. Herbed Parmesan Squash is a good side dish.

In the Comfort Food Thursday chapter is another slow cooker favorite, Jan's Pork Chops & Pierogies.  True comfort food!  Chicken & Broccoli Bake is delicious but only serves two.  I would double or triple that one, and I prefer florets to chopped broccoli.  Dill Potato Wedges is a side dish recipe I've tried and loved.  Swedish Meatloaf is a recipe I'd love to try.  We enjoy Swedish meatballs and this would have a similar flavor.  

The chapter Just For Fun Friday contains the reason I own this book: my own recipe for Slow-Cooked Pork Ribs.  I've also tried Melissa's Hawaiian Chicken, another flavorful slow cooker meal.  Cheeseburger Macaroni is another recipe I've tried and liked.  And there are many, many more in this chapter that I want to try.  Baked Potato Bar and Pizza Butter Muffins, just to name a couple.

Because this cookbook contains such a variety of cuisines, it makes meal planning quite easy. 

Apparently this book has been updated to include photos and a photo cover.  You can check that out here: Updated Weeknight Dinners.

If you should be interested in the edition I have, Thriftbooks has one in good condition for $4.69: Weeknight Dinners.

Whichever edition you choose, I think you would be very pleased with this cookbook.  I know it's a much-used addition to my own cookbook shelves.

2 comments:

  1. I really must get back in the habit of nightly cooking. We eat out way too often. We usually share a meal, but still eating at home is healthier. I need to think like this, a topic for each night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the recipes from that series of cookbooks are yummy...every single one I've tried anyway. I think a chili topped baked potato sounds wonderful. I may try one for lunch. ☺️ I think that I have everything that I need. Congrats on another entry!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.