Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Ever-lovin' hodgepodge

 

It's Wednesday again, so time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.  This week's Hodgepodge questions revolve around love and romance.   Here goes:

1. Something you've done recently that might be considered a labor of love? 

Oh, let's see.   I would say a couple of things.  An embroidered flannel baby blanket is in the making -- I have completed the embroidery.  It's not the one below but is a similar style.

 


And then last week I prepared and froze food at home to bring along as part of my cooking for off-season volunteers (along with some staff) at a Christian camp.  That was a labor of love and the freeze-ahead part turned out to be a huge blessing. 

2. What's one thing you love about being the age you are now? 

Freedom to be myself.  Curly gray hair, dangly earrings, comfortable un-fancy outfits.  No one expects me to be anything but a Grammy and a biblical older woman.  

3. What do you value more: careful planning or the freedom to be spontaneous? Elaborate.

I think that oftentimes careful planning can free one up to be spontaneous.   Here's an example: we like to spontaneously spend a winter night at our little camp.  (I'm actually working on a blog post about how we make this happen.)  Careful planning might include keeping plenty of firewood there, keeping a handy box to carry along drinking water and the Keurig, keeping a duffel bag packed with essentials all ready to go.  Then when the weatherman gives a forecast for an unseasonably warm winter day, off we go for a spontaneous night at our cottage!

4. A home cooked meal or a fancy restaurant? pink or red? watch the sunrise or watch the sunset? wine and cheese or champagne and chocolate? 

πŸ’Ÿ  I would basically never choose a fancy restaurant.  They intimidate me.  I much prefer diners or simple family restaurants. A home-cooked Valentine meal can be lovely too.  My daughter treats her family to one every year.

πŸ’Ÿ  Red.  I like pink too, but if I had to choose it would be red.

πŸ’Ÿ  Either sunrise or sunset -- I'm awake for both -- but around here the sunsets tend to be prettier than the sunrises, so I'll pick sunset.

πŸ’Ÿ I wouldn't pick either of these food/beverage pairings.  Maybe coffee and chocolate.  Or just plain chocolate.

The roses on my daughter's Valentine table last year -- half-price roses from the supermarket!

5. What's your definition of romance? Are you a 'romantic'? 

 I think the definition of romance absolutely varies from person to person and from couple to couple.  I'm not even sure I could define it. 

I'm a romantic in this sense: I love to hear a real-life love story with many chapters and a happy ending.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

A friend treated me to one of these Dark Cocoa Maple Cream Truffles today.  Oh, my.

And that's the Hodgepodge for this week!  It's good to be back.

10 comments:

  1. I rarely eat chocolate as it tends to make me sick to my tummy, even though I love the flavor...but those maple creme filled truffles do sound divine. I just might be tempted to try one, especially if they are dark chocolate, which seems to be the only one I can eat a little of without too much after effect. Oh I love that you can escape to your little camp even in winter...that just sounds so wonderful to me! I can't wait to read what you are preparing about that. And yes, sunsets are the best here as well, over our Still Waters Pond! God's masterpieces painted in the skies for us to enjoy! I am not a pink or red person, due to being a natural redhead and I always shied away from those colors. But a deeper shade of red I do like. And yes, romance is different for everyone. My parents enjoyed almost 64 years together before my mother passed away, and their love story was so precious for all of us who knew and loved them. And I am thankful for the 53+ years that my hubby and I have had together so far, and we pray there will still be many more. We've certainly had our ups and downs, but somehow, through the grace of God, we always manage to get back up and keep going. I definitely give all the glory to God for what HE has done. Happy upcoming Valentine's Day to you and yours! I enjoyed visiting here today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now planning a spontaneous trip to a cabin in the snow would be a dream come true for me. Happy Valentine Week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think people who love spontaneity and seem to fly by the seat of their pants can appreciate someone with a plan when a plan is called for. I liked your example of the camp. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a spontaneous trip to your cabin. How cool would that be! That embroidered blanket is so pretty...what a neat gift. I also love the roses. I may have to get us some this week. Hope you have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter's Valentine table set with the black and white checked tablecloth and red roses is stunning.

    Your planning carefully for spontaneity is great! I might be able to do that much planning to spend an evening at the cottage.

    Wonderful baby blanket and the embroidery "wiggly baby" is so cute. Does the new blanket say the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:01 PM

    Hi,
    I love your camp. :-)
    I would like a sample of those sweet treats, maple is one of my favorite flavors. In fact we were just talking about it soon will be tapping tree time. This will be year 3 for us to cook down maple syrup.
    :-)
    Carla From the River

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so right about planning carefully SO THAT we can be spontaneous! Often the best spontaneous things work out well because we've planned ahead. Your cottage does look very cozy, and those truffles look delicious! Visiting from WH#10

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so true how planning can lead to successful spontaneity. Great labors of love! Those chocolate treats look yummy! Have a happy Valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just read your post on staying at your cottage during the winter time and yes it clearly needs some planning but with that all in place you can be spontaneous when the weather is ok. Best of both worlds. I mixed up the food and drink combinations too and would be happy with just chocolate any time lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your answers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.