Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Hodgepodge for February 22

 


 It's Wednesday again, so time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.  Several of this week's Hodgepodge questions have a definite Washington's Birthday flavor.   Here goes:

1. What do you find is the most boring part of your life at the moment? 

Ooh, I do not allow my grandchildren to use that word in my presence and especially not in our home.  Years ago, granddaughter Sarah commemorated that with a sign, as seen below.  There is always something interesting to do.  I can honestly say that I am never [that word].

2. February 22nd is George Washington's birthday. You'll find his face on the US $1 bill. What's the last thing you bought for roughly $1.00? (.94 €/ .83 £)

Marshmallow fluff (for fudge making) at Dollar Tree.   I have lost track of how many batches of Heavenly Delight my hubby has made since November. 

3. Is it ever okay to tell a 'little white lie'? Explain. 

For me, it is not okay.  I think Scripture is pretty clear on any form of lying.   

But I also believe that if it's a matter of not hurting someone's feelings, there is almost always a way to word things carefully and thoughtfully so we can be truthful and kind at the same time.

4. What's the last thing you 'chopped'? Cherry pie, chocolate covered cherries, a bowl of cherries, cherry vanilla ice cream, maraschino cherries, a cherry lifesaver...your favorite cherry flavored something? 

Last thing I chopped:  an avocado which I put in my lunchtime salad yesterday.

Favorite cherry something: fresh dark sweet cherries in season.  A cherry topped cheesecake is yummy too.

5. Describe yourself with three words using your first, middle, and last initials. 

 Servant (of God)

Joyful (in the Lord)

Trusting (in Him)

Beautiful graphic is by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings.  If you haven't visited there, you should.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I think our kids lost a lot when we stopped celebrating Lincoln's birthday and Washington's birthday in schools.  These holidays along with Valentine's Day made February such a festive month, one we all looked forward to.  They really brightened up the winter.  (And no, I am not old enough to remember the scene below!  It's a magazine cover from my old picture collection -- I've scanned and saved a few of these and tossed the rest as I am no longer needing them.)

That's the Hodgepodge for this week!  Happy Washington's Birthday!


16 comments:

  1. For the first time in a long time, my kids got president's day off this year. We get three options for days off/school cycle to vote on as parents from our school board and that's the one people chose. So I guess that's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree. School was in session here in our part of New Hampshire.

      Delete
  2. Well, except for the style of clothes in the picture, it looks very much like our old classrooms from when I was in elementary school. I guess the desks are a bit more old fashioned than ours were. The idea is still the same. I love dark sweet bing type cherries too, and an old fashioned cherry pie made with tart cherries, not the gooey sweet pie filling in a can. I agree with you about the 'white lie' exactly. And I can imagine that no one would ever be bored at your house! I am sure that I wouldn't be! Have a blessed and wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam for your sweet and thoughtful comments! I don't think you would be [that word] anywhere .. you have so many interests and you seem to find life endlessly interesting.

      Delete
  3. You did so well on those adjectives describing yourself! You are a stickler for not being bored and not using the word. I imagine that has served your grands well. Oh you must be one of those who has special words for certain situations...my mother described anything she was unsure of as "interesting." I knew exactly what she meant. 🙂

    Loved the trip back to Bridgton there in the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vee! Yes, I think for the most part my no-boredom policy has served my grandkids (and the kids before them) quite well.

      Over years of speaking before thinking, I have learned to stop and think and weigh my words and sometimes even pray before I speak. Of course there are still many times when I fail miserably at that. "Interesting" is a good and helpful word.

      Yes, I loved the trip back to Bridgton too. What a wonderful time that was! We were so blessed to meet up with you and Kim. We still hope to visit again. Alas, the price on Pebble Cottage has increased quite a bit. We still find some very reasonable places on Airbnb, though, so we do hope to visit Bridgton or that area again.

      Delete
  4. My kids knew not to complain of boredom because I used to say I could find them something to do lol. I wouldn't say I'm ever truly bored, but there are tasks, like the tax organizer that are boring but still need doing. Cherry topped cheesecake is a good answer too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right. And now I am wishing for a slice of cherry topped cheesecake!

      Delete
  5. My daughters never complained of boredom or they knew I would definitely find something for them to do. I teach and we did not close in my county for President's Day...so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I was too -- I would find them something to do if they couldn't do it on their own. And my "something" often resembled work!

      Delete
  6. Your granddaughter's sign and your declaration that you don't allow (that word) reminded me - I used to tell my kids when they were younger that "only unintelligent people got bored because intelligent people can find something to learn or be interested in" They remind ME of that now sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good statement and very, very true. I'll have to remember that. Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom!

      Delete
  7. Love your description of yourself. Also the Little Birdie Blessings is encouraging. February was a great Winter month for school with those three holidays to celebrate, I agree. Hope your week is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Ellen! That description using initials was difficult! You were blessed to only have two initials to work with and you came up with a wonderful description.

    Yes, I love Abby's graphics and her devotionals. Hope to meet in person one of these years.

    And yes, those three February holidays were so much fun in school back in the day. Sure livened up winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never let my kids say they were bored either - there is just so much to do, a little creativity cures it! Love the cute picture of your granddaughter! And I do love cherries so very much, especially bing cherries in late summer - so good! Lovely acronym for yourself, I agree! Always fun to read your comments from the Hodgepodge! Blessings to you Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your answers from last week. I'm late getting back to everyone. We never let our girls use teh word bored either.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.