Friday, July 25, 2008

Sew Crafty Friday for July 25


I have just a couple of things to share today.

This is the cross-stitch pot holder I am working on with a design of blueberries. The design is a border and goes just across the top. I want to camouflage the age spots on the holder itself, so I am going to cross-stitch the word "Blueberries" further down on the pot holder.


This craft is something I made a long time ago. But with canning and jam-making season upon us, people will have their canning jars out, and so I thought it might be a good time to show this candle holder made from a Mason jar. I saw something like it in a catalog and decided to try making my own. I started by painting the jar a cream color. It takes several coats to coat the glass completely. Then I chose a suitably-sized stencil and stenciled the house design on both sides of the jar. When the paint was dry, I thinned out some black paint a little and spatter painted the entire jar using a old toothbrush. I found a clear glass votive holder that just fits in the top of the jar (Wal*Mart has these) and set it in there and added a votive candle. A strip of homespun tied around the threads of the jar top is the finishing touch.

How about you? If you have managed to accomplish or even start any crafting this week, then head on over to Waiting for Him and share your projects. Shereen and others will be eager to see what you have to share. Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I love blueberries. And I love blue and white! I hope you'll show us the finished pot holder. I bet it's going to be cute.

    And that Mason jar is great! I have some Ball jars. Maybe I'll start to play around with them. I have a Mason jar on my blog today--but I'd never paint it. It's very old and full of buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:56 AM

    You're potholder is very cute! I like the jar candle too, they used to sell those in a consignment shop by my house. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, ladies, and sharing your sweet comments. Yes, mom2fur, I will post a picture of the pot holder when it's finished. I still have a few more berries and leaves to do, and all the backstitching. But I did start on the lettering just to see how it will look, and it's looking good.

    Stop in at my kitchen table anytime!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.