Friday, August 03, 2012

Pork Chow Mein

(Photo by Taste of Home)
Here's a yummy recipe which I've made many times over the years.  I believe I found it originally in Taste of Home, and you'll find the recipe here at their site:  Pork Chow Mein.  This is a very adaptable recipe, and last night I tried a variation that I'll probably return to again and again.  Instead of the celery, cabbage and spinach called for, I used a 1-pound package of coleslaw mix.  It was delicious!  I also added a few torn leaves of mustard greens and about half of a medium zucchini, julienned.  I julienned baby carrots too, rather than slicing regular carrots in rounds as the recipe directs.

I really liked using the coleslaw mix as it saved a lot of slicing or grating.  I had seen a similar recipe that called for 4 cups of shredded cabbage and decided that a pound of coleslaw mix (I used the Nason brand, made in Maine) would approximate to the same thing.  I found a great buy on pork sirloin steaks at our local supermarket yesterday, and that's what I used for meat.

This is great over rice and with a simple salad of leaf lettuce and mandarin oranges. 

Hope your family enjoys this chow mein if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.