Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Something out of [almost] nothing
Two of the samples were obviously for kitchen curtains. One was a chicken/rooster print and the other an apple print. I thought these would make good potholders, but I decided before sewing them that I would open out the hems to make more of the print visible. This gained me a good inch or more on all sides. I then cut backing fabric the same size as my curtain sample, and added 2 layers of cotton batting for the inside. When these were finished, they were actually much larger than one would use for potholders, so I decided they would be nice hot mats for the table instead.
My daughter and her family have chickens, so I knew from the beginning that the chicken mat would end up on their table. I gave the apple one to them also.
The apple-themed one came out cute too but there was a lot of blank space at the top above the design, so I used a Sharpie® to trace the word "Delicious" on it before sewing. I heat set it with an iron in hopes that it will hold up in the wash. This type of item doesn't typically get used all the time or washed frequently, so I think it should hold up okay.
That is some of my more recent simple crafting. Check out my Christmas blog for a more complicated project I recently finished!