Saturday, November 02, 2013

Gluten-free Buttermilk Corn Muffins


Photo by The Baking Beauties
A month or so after I stopped eating wheat, someone gave me a used gluten-free cookbook.  Most of the recipes were pretty good, and for a long time it was my go-to source for gluten free recipes.  One of them was a cornbread recipe which I baked often.

After finding The Baking Beauties , I entered a whole new world of gluten-free baking.  As I've said before, Jeanine just seems to have a gift for developing recipes that are gluten free but don't taste like it.  One day I wanted to make cornbread but just didn't want to take the time, so I took a moment to do a search and see if Jeanine had a corn muffin recipe.  She did, and this is it: Buttermilk Corn Muffins
.
I tried the recipe and found that these muffins are simply delicious; I have served them to company who never knew they were gluten free. I do change a couple of things which makes them a wee bit healthier and does not affect the taste. Instead of 1/2 cup butter, I use 1/3 cup canola oil. And I use only 1/3 cup sugar rather than 2/3. I keep these in a plastic bag or container in the freezer. When I need a quick muffin to accompany soup, I just heat one in the microwave for 25 seconds and it tastes fresh baked!

And I should add that I have also poured this batter into a pan and made it into cornbread when I am in a hurry.  It has to bake for longer than the muffins, but is quicker to make with no muffin tins to fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.