Friday, February 06, 2015

Those black & white dishes

A wintry hutch from a previous year -- you can see on the bottom shelf the tureen, a tea cup, and a gravy boat.
 Tori commented on the black and white ironstone soup tureen shown in my last post about my winter hutch.  I was sure I had taken pictures of some of the other items in my set, but apparently I never posted those pictures on my blog.  I've gone back through years of Picasa web albums without finding them.

I then went back to my old computer and yes, there are half a dozen pictures of these dishes in iPhoto, but for whatever reason I cannot get them out of iPhoto and so I cannot post them.  For now.  I'm not giving up, but I'm giving up for today.   So I will just show you a few photos of past decorating that included these dishes.
At Easter time one year
Gravy boat used in fall decorating
On a summertime hutch
My mother always called these "the grandfather dishes."  My understanding was that her paternal grandfather had given each of his daughters-in-law a set of these dishes.  But my understanding could well be faulty.  When my grandmother died, my mom and aunts drew straws to see who would get which heirlooms.  My mom and one aunt ended up dividing the set of "grandfather dishes".  [Incidentally, neither lady ever took her dishes out of the box she brought them home in, to my knowledge!]  My mom gave her half to me many years ago, and when my aunt passed away last year, my uncle wanted me to have the other half.

Tori, if you are interested in learning more about the pattern, here is one site with some information:  Ashworth Brothers Aesthetic Black.  The dishes are Ashworth Brothers, circa 1880.  I believe they came in other colors like red, green, and blue, but I could be misinformed.  Hope you've enjoyed learning a bit more about these interesting dishes.  If I ever get my pictures out of iPhoto, I will be sure and post them.  Or ... I could just take some new photos!

4 comments:

  1. So the set is now complete again? That is so nice. I think that this often happens with dishes...the next generation is not so fond of the dishes of the previous generation's, yet the grands are very interested. It has proven true in my family, too. I love transferware and was not aware that it came in black. I have some that is brown that I like a lot. Your pieces are handsome pieces so their nickname "Grandfather's dishes" fits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love these dishes and even more now that I realize they have such a sweet family history. What lovely treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:53 PM

    Hi and these dishes are so lovely. Wish I could see the pattern on them up closer! What a story to go along with them too. Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies! I am glad you enjoyed seeing and finding out a bit more about this transferware. I hope that I can get some more photos taken and share more at another time.

    Vee, I would imagine that brown transferware would be even prettier than black.

    You're right, too, about the grandchildren liking the older dishes more than the children. I loved the green dishes (Colonial Homestead, by Royal) that my grandmother had at her summer place (they are still there, still being used), and as an adult I have found many pieces at thrift stores and even at the dump! It's funny, but whenever I serve a meal to guests on those dishes, someone invariably says that those were the dishes they grew up with. They must have been very popular, but I never knew it at the time. Just knew that I liked them, and they fit my grandmother's camp style so well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.