Sunday, December 09, 2018

December 9 -- Whipped Shortbread cookies

 
Photo from Taste of Home

 Although this recipe appears a number of times on both of my blogs, I'm sharing it again for those readers who may have missed it.  This is a cookie not to be missed, believe me!   Whipped Shortbread has been one of our very favorite Christmas cookies for years and years. The cookies require very few ingredients and are super easy to make.  I also like that they take 20-22 minutes to bake, as something meaningful may be accomplished in that amount of time, while they're in the oven.

WHIPPED SHORTBREAD

3 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted if very lumpy
4 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups cornstarch
Colored candy sprinkles and/or halved candied cherries and/or red and green colored sugar

Using a heavy-duty mixer, beat butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add dry ingredients, beating constantly until well blended. 


Roll dough into 1-inch balls (dust hands with additional cornstarch if necessary); dip balls in either colored candy sprinkles or colored sugar. Place balls, decorated side up, on ungreased cookie sheets. Press each ball lightly with a fork. 

(If you wish to decorate cookies with cherries, do this: Do not dip balls in colored sprinkles or sugar. Instead, place plain balls on cookie sheet and press lightly with fork. Then top each cookie with a cherry half.) 

You may wish to do an assortment and trim some cookies with candy sprinkles, some with colored sugar, and some with cherries. Bake cookies at 300º for 20 to 22 minutes, or until cookies are set but not browned.

Yield: 16 dozen cookies

This is a very big recipe, but it is very easily divided in half (or even in thirds) if you wish to make a smaller batch. It is so easy, but produces many beautiful cookies quite quickly.  The photo below shows them as I most often bake them, with red and green sugar.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so delicious, Mrs T! I doubt I will be baking much this year but I will bookmark these for later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this cookie recipe looks delicious. Your cookies are just so festive.

    Hugs Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello to you on this beautiful Lord's Day~
    I will most definitely be trying your recipe, in fact it will be this afternoon as I'm putting a box together of baked goods for one of my sister's and her husband who requests if I would a box of "goodies".
    I have a wonderful short bread pan that molds each cookie with a snowflake imprint that came with a terrific recipe, light and fluffy that I use, but I really must try this recipe.
    Short bread cookies are my favorite, but other cookies not do much.
    Thank you for sharing your goodness with us.

    Bless you~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this recipe! I bet they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping in to say that I made those amazing cookies!! Wow! Those are quite delicious and will certainly grace our home for the Holidays.

    Merry Christmas dear lady ♡

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.