Saturday, December 22, 2018

December 22 -- Special Holiday Fudge

 
Photo is from Sun-Maid raisins; I didn't get a photo of the fudge before wrapping it up.


 I made a batch of this on Monday in order to get some of it into the last package to Nevada (before Christmas, that is).

SPECIAL HOLIDAY FUDGE

1 1/3 cups sugar
1 1/3 cups miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup butter or margarine (1/2 stick)
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. orange extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup raisins (I used golden raisins this time and detected no flavor difference.
1 cup chopped pecans

Line a 9-inch square pan with foil and butter the foil.*


In large heavy saucepan, combine first 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Boil 5 minutes, stirring with a wire whisk.  Remove from heat, stir in chips until melted. Stir in the extracts and then the nuts and raisins. Replace your whisk with a spoon and beat by hand until glossy, 30 to 60 seconds. If needed, you may add up to 2 Tblsp. water to make it glossy, but you probably won't need to. Turn into prepared pan. Cool completely; turn out on cutting board and remove foil,  then cut in squares.

This fudge is absolutely wonderful! It really tastes like Christmas!  I found the recipe many years ago in my favorite cooking newsletter, 
Cook & Tell , and have made it nearly every Christmas since then.
If you have a nostalgic fondness for Chunky® candy bars or chocolate-covered raisins, you are sure to enjoy this fudge.
 
* Original recipe calls for simply buttering the pan.  That's what I did when I made the fudge this week.  I let it set in the fridge overnight and it was so difficult to remove from the pan.   That's why I'm suggesting the buttered foil maneuver this time around.

4 comments:

  1. It looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good, Terri, especially if you like chocolate-covered raisins or Chunky bars. Quite easy, too.

      Delete
  2. I love raisins! This looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is, Vee, so good! I hadn't realized until last year how much my Nevada daughter remembered and liked this fudge. It is festive for sure. I'm planning to make another batch, hopefully today.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.