Wednesday, December 19, 2018

December 19 -- the Wednesday Medley


Ah yes, Wednesday again, and time for the Wednesday Medley hosted by Terri at Your Friend from Florida!   Terri asks the questions and bloggers come up with their own answers.

 Wouldn't you like to join in also?  Just head over to Terri's blog, get the questions, then copy, paste, and answer them on your own blog.  Then you can go back to Terri's and link up (which I completely forgot to do last week!).   Here we go with the questions:

1.  Wednesday, December 19, 2018, is National Hard Candy Day! So the first question today is to ask if you enjoy hard candy, especially the kind we usually see during this festive time of year?  What is your favorite?  Which hard candy brings up the best memories for you if any?
 
I am not really a fan of hard candy except for the type which has a soft filling and even then, not really much of a fan.  A couple kinds bring up good memories though -- peach blossoms, little pillow shaped candies with a shiny peach colored coating and a soft peanut butter interior, always available on my grandmother's candy table, and Canada mints, which my grandfather always had in his pockets and would offer to me as a little child.  He died when I was four so that is one of my only memories of him.  

I also have great memories of the multicolored hard candies (some had little flowers on them as part of the candy) that used to be given out in candy boxes like the one below.  Sort of like an animal crackers box.

2.  Holiday shopping!  Are you finished? If you could spend an entire day in just one store, which one would it be and why?
 
I am not quite finished. Those who know me well would get a hearty laugh out of me spending an entire day shopping in just one store or even in a variety of stores.  A store I could spend quite a bit of time in, though, is a Christmas Tree Shop, because they have all kinds of different things that I would be interested in.  Just not all day.

3.  What holiday dessert describes you and why?
 
Good grief, what a question!   Okay,  this just occurred to me: how about pecan pie ... a little nutty, a bit crusty, but sweet at heart?

4.  What is your least favorite holiday side dish?
 
 Hmmm... Some people serve plain boiled onions (often, out of a jar!) at Thanksgiving -- and maybe Christmas too, for all I know.  They may be my least favorite.

No boiled onions here, I'm sure.  A favorite Christmas cookbook.
5.  Now be real!! There is one on almost every tree. What is the ugliest tree ornament you have ever seen?
 
That is a good question.  I really can't think of one right now, but I do remember some glittery papier-mache birds from my childhood.  They were pale blue and pale pink, and had a certain charm back then, but they didn't wear well.  They are now very ugly indeed.
This year's Christmas tree -- maybe not quite finished
6.  Tell us something random about your week!!
 
I'm tickled to have all of my Nevada gifts en route -- some wrapped and sent by me, others going straight from Amazon.  It's quite an accomplishment and quite a bit ahead of my usual timing.

And that's a wrap for another Wednesday Medley!

4 comments:

  1. A bit crusty? Oh heavens no! I do not believe it. Have to say that I do love a pecan pie.

    Oh you reminded me of a Christmas candy that I had forgotten...the ones with flowers and/or little images in the center.

    My sister loves boiled onions so I always remember to have them at holiday meals for her. Me not so much.

    Your tree is gorgeous! Love that tree skirt. Yay for having your packages on their way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I’m not done shopping either. My daughter and I have a date for Friday. Talk about cutting it close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would go crazy if I had to be in one place all day. I do not do well shopping. Loved your answers! Have a great week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on getting your packages mailed!! Thanks so much for joining in on the Medley today! I enjoyed your answers and especially your take on #3!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.