Saturday, April 16, 2022

Why Easter Matters

 

Graphic by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings

Years ago (2014) I did a "Why Easter Matters" study from Good Morning Girls.  Back then, I posted just once about it.  Since Easter is coming up tomorrow, and since it really does matter tremendously to us, I felt it was important to share more of my study with you.  The Scripture passage I'm using today is Isaiah 53:4-6.

S=  "Surely He hath borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we did esteem Him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
"But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and with His stripes we are healed. 
"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way, and the LORD hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all."  (Isaiah 53:4-6)

O= Here we see what Christ has done for us in His sacrificial death.  We also see what we have done:

* Like sheep, we have all gone astray (v.6);
* Every one of us has turned to his or her own way (v.6);
* We have esteemed Christ to be "stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted" (v. 4).

BUT ...

* Christ has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows (v.4);
* He was wounded for our transgressions (v.5);
* He was bruised for our iniquities (v.5);
* The chastisement for our peace was upon Him (v.5);
* With His stripes we are healed (v.5)'
* The Lord has laid our iniquity on Him (v.6).

A= This certainly shows a dramatic contrast between what I have done and am prone to do, and what Christ has done for me.  Prior to salvation I certainly did go astray and wanted to walk my own way.  Even after salvation, we are prone to want our own way and to turn aside from the way in which God would have us to walk.

Yet He has done so much for me -- borne my griefs, carried my sorrows, has been wounded and bruised for my transgressions and iniquities, has been chastised that I might have peace, has healed me with His stripes.  How unappreciative I can be!

P= "Lord, I can never thank and praise You enough for all You have done for me.  You have borne my griefs.  You have carried my sorrows.  You were wounded for my transgressions and bruised for my iniquities.  You bore the chastisement of a holy God so I might have peace with Him.  My iniquity has been laid upon you, and I've been healed with Your stripes.  Such an amazing, incredible sacrifice is almost beyond my comprehension.

"Truly, as the songwriter has said, how can I do less than give You my best and live for You completely, after all You've done for me?  Help me not to want my own way or to go astray in any way, but to walk as You wold have me to, consistently.  I thank You for all You have done and all You will do, in Jesus' name, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.