Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Easter week hodgepodge

 

 Yes, it's Wednesday again, and time for the Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond, where Joyce asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers.  This week, the Hodgepodge questions revolve around the themes of Easter and Tax Day. 

 1. Do you celebrate Easter? If so what are your plans this year? Did you have egg hunts as a kid? 

We do celebrate Easter, wholeheartedly.  We will have an early, outdoor service at church, followed by a breakfast together.  Then an Easter service which I am sure will be a blessing, replete with triumphant Scripture and music.   Easter dinner will be shared with our daughter and family.  We have only just begun to talk Easter menu.  Ham is a given, but the other details have not yet been worked out.

Egg hunts -- we didn't have them when I was a kid.  In our family, that was likely because at least two, maybe three, of the kids didn't like eggs.  There were no plastic eggs to fill with candy back in the 1950s.  What my mother did do was to hide jelly beans all around the living and dining areas.  We older kids were not allowed to take the jelly beans from low windowsills, so there would still be some there for my little sister to find.

This darling illustration was from a food coloring booklet that sold on Etsy.

2. What's your favorite bread to find in a bread basket? 

Either sourdough or marble rye. 


3. Your favorite chick flick? 

Not sure that I have one, but my favorite movies that appeal to girls more than guys would be the Anne of Green Gables movies. 

4. Tax day is rapidly approaching in the US of A...what's something you currently find 'taxing'? 

It has just ended, but the responsibility of tending a wood furnace while my hubby was spending nights at his mother's.   

5. Have you ever ridden in a taxi? Do you have a funny-scary-crazy-interesting taxi story to share? Do you use any of the newer taxi-like services such as Uber? 

I have ridden in a taxi several times, from airport to hotel and vice versa.  We have also used Uber once, when we and our daughter's family traveled out west to visit our other daughter and her family out there.  Although there were 8 of us, and lots of luggage, only 1 Uber arrived and so we had to divide the group. My hubby and oldest grandson stayed at the airport.   It was a bit of a distance to the hotel, and one of us had to travel back to the airport with the Uber driver.  My daughter did so -- the Uber arrangements had been made with her phone -- while I and my son-in-law got the younger kids settled at the hotel.  We prayed for her safety and breathed a sigh of relief when she returned.  If I recall, her main topic of conversation with the driver was homeschooling!

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Remembering that last year we spent Easter in Elko, Nevada!  What a blessing it was to be able to spend Easter with loved ones we seldom see at this time of year!  And to be at Grace Baptist Church in Elko for Easter services, including a chilly sunrise service in the parking lot!  Those are wonderful memories for us and for granddaughter Julia, who went with us.


 And that wraps up the Hodgepodge for this week!  Why not head on over to From This Side of the Pond and snag the questions to answer on your own blog?


4 comments:

  1. When my kids were younger there was a house in a neighborhood near us (coincidentally, one where Ash and I lived before having a family) that grew their lawn long and held an egg hunt. They always hid one giant golden egg and my middle won it one year. Love that memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a jelly bean hunt is genius! Love that idea. Glad your wood burning furnace has ended for now! Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The responsibility of a wood furnace is a big one. My sis doesn't like it either, whenever her husband is on a business trip. We didn't have egg hunts when ai was a kid either. We did have to search for our Easter baskets. I remember finding mine in the toybox one year.

    Have a blessed Easter weekend, you and Mr. T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Anne of Green Gables and have watched it many times.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.