Sunday, April 17, 2022

Why Easter Matters, part 2

 

Graphic by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings

As mentioned yesterday, years ago (2014) I did a "Why Easter Matters" study from Good Morning Girls and posted just once about it.  Since today is Easter Sunday, and since it really does matter tremendously to us, I felt it was important to share more of my study with you.  The Scripture passage I'm using today is 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, 14.

S= "For I delivered unto you first that which I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures;
"And that He was buried, and rose again the third day, according to the Scriptures ...
"And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain."  (1 Corinthians 15:3-4, 14)

O=  C.I. Scofield notes concerning these verses: the apostle outlines the Gospel of God's grace.  1) It concerns a Person --the Christ of the Scriptures and history.  2) It concerns His death -- 'for our sins according to the Scriptures.'  And 3) It concerns His resurrection -- likewise 'according to the Scriptures.'  His burial is asserted as the evidence of His death; and that He was seen alive [v.5] is declared as the proof of His resurrection."

But if Christ is not risen -- if there was no resurrection -- then Paul's preaching this Gospel was in vain; it accomplished nothing.  Our faith would also be vain -- we would still be in our sins (v.17).

A=  What a huge blessing that the Gospel is true!  Jesus did die, but He did rise from the dead. He is risen, as He said!  So, instead of being in vain, my faith is living and real.  As Scofield comments on Hebrews 11: "The essence of faith consists in believing and receiving what God has revealed, and may be defined as that trust in that God of the Scriptures and in Jesus Christ whom He has sent which receives Him as Lord and Savior and impels to loving obedience and good works."

P=  "Lord, I thank You so much for the clarity of Your Word and the simplicity of the Gospel.  I praise You that Jesus not only died for my sin, but that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures.  Truly, if Jesus had not risen, my faith would be in vain. I would still be in my sins.  There would be nothing to celebrate. 
"But Jesus did rise again, just as He said He would.  And thus my faith can be alive, vibrant, and real, making a difference every day of my life.  Help me to communicate the reality of my faith to those who don't know You.  I pray in Jesus' name, Amen."

Wishing all of my readers a truly blessed Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.