Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Happy holiday hodgepodge

 


 It's Wednesday again, so time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.  This week's Hodgepodge questions revolve around Christmas and winter.   Here goes:

1. What does Christmas mean to you? 

First and foremost it is a glorious opportunity to celebrate the birth of our Savior!  It also means family, friends, memories, glorious carols, yummy food, beautiful decorations, nostalgia ... I could go on and on.  I love this time of year!

2. What's your favorite cozy holiday activity? 

Hmmm ....  I love a hot cocoa bar.  The lovely one below is at my daughter's home.

3. Is all your shopping-wrapping-baking done? Tell us about your holiday plans. 

The baking is nearly done.  I want to bake some gingerbread men, and I have a couple kitchen gifts yet to do.   You can see the list over on my Christmas blog.  Or I can just put it here.

The shopping is partially done.  And I do have a few handmade gifts done, and several more to go.

The wrapping is not yet started, though I have some rolls of wrapping paper accessible and I bought some rolls of tape.

You didn't ask about Christmas cards, but I've started on those.

Holiday plans: Not sure yet about Christmas Eve.  Our oldest granddaughters often join us.  Christmas Day we will have church in the morning -- a special Christmas service.  In the afternoon we will join our local daughter and her family for dinner and presents. 

4. If you were Santa what treat would you like to have left for you (it doesn't have to be milk and cookies!) What sweet or savory treat do you most look forward to indulging in around the holidays? 

I don't care for milk, but cookies would be great.  Maybe a nice gingerbread coffee with lots of cream and no sugar, and how about a plate of assorted homemade Christmas cookies?

 
As far as a sweet or savory treat I look forward to around the holidays,  I'd say for sweet, any of our traditional Christmas cookies or fudge.  For savory, I don't know.  Maybe the Ranch House Chicken that I often make for Christmas dinner?

5. Next Wednesday is the first official day of winter (in the northern hemisphere). How does that make you feel? Tell us what you love most about winter? 

Winter comes every year; I'm not super excited about it, but it's inevitable.  It has felt like winter for awhile, even though we've had no snow and only have a half inch or so now.  I guess there is more coming this week.

What I love most about winter is the cozy feeling that comes with being snowed in, with plenty of firewood, a full pantry and lots of craft materials and maybe a jigsaw puzzle.

This is from a previous winter.  Just look at that snow piled up in front of the window.  (This window looks out on the porch roof.)

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Looking forward to getting together with my local daughter next week for some Christmasy crafting.  I need to look over project ideas I've saved and see what we might make together.  I'm wondering about some of these:

I have tart tins that were my grandmother's.  Or maybe some of these:

We will see what ideas we come up with.  I'll be sure to post about what we do.

And that's the holiday Hodgepodge!



8 comments:

  1. Christmas crafting with your daughter sounds like so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fudge! Enjoy your time with your daughter. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't done Christmas cards in a few years - just too busy or couldn't justify the cost - but I did this year. My plan is to send them to the folks who have sent to me. Over the last couple years, I get far fewer than I ever did before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas!!
    I'd like to receive one of your kitchen gifts. :-)
    Have fun crafting, it sounds like a great time.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, great post today....lots of inspiration going on in my head for crafting...can you share some of your motivation with me?! :) The 2 ornament ideas are our vintage style & look pretty fun to make. Your Hodgepodge was like a visit 'across your table' for me! Merry Christmas & happy crafting with your daughter, Mrs. T!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can wrap up some of your cocoa mix for me : ). Have fun crafting with your daughter. Merry Christmas to you and your family! Thanks for being a part of the weekly Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll have a fun time crafting with your daughter. Either or both of those would be very sweetly vintage.

    Oh I am not looking forward to winter either. It's a long, challenging season here in The North.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have the most snow accumulated this year from all our previous years because we never warmed up between snow dumps to have any kind of melt off. Enjoy your crafting with your daughter and your Christmas day festivities sound lovely. We have church on Christmas day this year, too. We'll have dinner here on Christmas evening. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.