Monday, December 05, 2022

December weekend

 


 We had a somewhat festive weekend, so I'll share a bit of what we did.

My hubby has been baking Christmas cookies for a few weeks now and stashing them in the freezer.  As I mentioned in Saturday's post, he became completely done with the cookie press he had been using and threw it away.  It was Friday when we took a little trip to the thrift store and found a nice vintage one to replace it.  

We also ran into his sister in the thrift store and he completely unnerved her by rattling the cookie press in its ziplock bag in front of her face.  She was browsing a china display at the time and the clinking sound caused her to think she had broken something!  But she forgave him when she learned that he has already made several batches of his famous Heavenly Delight fudge, and promised to come by for some later.

I made my way across the street to another part of the thrift store where they have a large "Christmas room".  There is so much to see!  They had an entire set of the numbered Gooseberry Patch Christmas books, in addition to many, many other Christmas things.  I spent a total of $1.50 and came away with two purchases: a set of larger Christmas cards to package Etsy card orders in, and this book by Karla Dornacher:

 

I've only glanced through it a little bit, but the illustrations are fun and the book approaches Christmas from a truly Christian perspective.  It is something I'd display during the season for others to browse through.

When we got home from thrifting, I worked at dusting our hutch and decorating it with some simple Christmas decor, just using things readily accessible.  No Christmas boxes have come out yet!  I also redid the table with a Christmasy look.  You can glimpse the tablecloth in the photos of the cookie and fudge trays.

Saturday my hubby did more baking and we went over to our daughter's early afternoon so our son-in-law could give Mr. T a haircut.  

Saturday evening we headed to a Christmas party for the work crew my husband was a part of for years.  We enjoyed reconnecting with old friends.  He brought along the cookie tray pictured at top and also a second tray with fudge, as you see below. 

 Yummy food and pretty Christmas decor turned even a cavernous garage into a festive venue warmed by friendship.

We are in full on Christmas mode at church these days, singing Christmas carols, practicing songs and readings for next week's program, and with poinsettias everywhere.

And yesterday afternoon we enjoyed a Christmas concert by the orchestra our granddaughter plays in.  The concert culminated in a fun performance of "Sleigh Ride" in conjunction with a local band.

 And that was our weekend!


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely winter/Christmas season weekend in New England. Love that last picture of the sleigh ride, and I can just hear the music playing! Love that!! The cookies and fudge look divine. Your hubby is a keeper! LOL. Thank you for sharing your fun and interesting Christmas season weekend. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome, Pam. It was a fun weekend indeed and a lovely way to kick off our Christmas season. Yes, "Sleigh Ride" is so distinctive, and the ending is so fun that I figured some people would be able to "hear" the music even without a video clip.

    My hubby is indeed a keeper. He not only baked the cookies and made the fudge (and cleaned up after himself), but he also arranged the trays! He is having so much fun with this, but he wants me to bake a few varieties of cookies of my choice just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. T! I am a new blogger and have been exploring other blogs looking for like minded folks and just stumbled on your's. When I read about your thrifting and the great scores you made, plus the Gooseberry Patch books, I knew I would enjoy your blog and followed you! Mine is Sandy in Alaska. I have a great collection of the Gooseberry Patch Christmas books and many of their 'chunky' recipes, etc. ones as well. Love your template too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy! Thanks so much for visiting! I'm glad you liked what you saw here and decided to follow. I think you probably would enjoy my Christmas blog too, Mrs. T's Christmas kitchen (link in sidebar).

      Love, love, love Gooseberry Patch books! I have received many free, due to having recipes or memories published in them.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.