Monday, December 26, 2022

December weekend 4

 How swiftly the weeks of December have passed!  It hardly seems possible that four weeks have passed and that Christmas Day is now behind us.  

We stayed at our camp on Thursday night, December 22 because the temperatures were conducive to it.  We knew they were projected to rise overnight.  Even though it was snowing when we went to bed, by morning it was supposed to be in the 40s and raining hard.    This held true.

We headed home around 8 am.  There was still snow on the ground at the camp, but it was raining hard.

The forecast was for heavy rain all day on Friday.  Then it was predicted to cool down very fast, leaving all sorts of ice behind.  Oh, and let's not forget the river flooding warnings for the rivers in our area. 

I had baked little apricot fruitcakes (my walking partner's favorite!) a day or two before, and so I wrapped up four of them to take to her and her hubby.  We drove there in pouring rain and had a nice, if brief visit with them.  She had baked eggnog cranberry muffins and sent us home with a couple!

Meanwhile,  unbeknownst to us, quite a lot was happening back in the woods between our little camp and our daughter's home.  At 5:06 pm I got this message via Instagram:

We were blissfully unaware of all this.  The land up behind our camp (and their house) is very steep, and apparently the warm temps and heavy rain had melted the snow so that these large amounts of water were coming down through the woods.  Enjoy the videos which Carrie sent us!  So thankful for capable, helpful neighbors!

You can glimpse our camp in the photo above.  Ari had to pick her way up the driveway around water and washouts.  

Jim and Carrie's power went out around 6 pm and was out all night, coming back around 4:30 a.m.  A lot of games, piano playing, singing and more took place by headlamp in their resourceful household.

Saturday I woke up with a scratchy throat and just wasn't able to accomplish as much as I would have liked that day.  It didn't seem like Christmas Eve; since we would be alone I didn't make our usual Christmas Eve menu.  I did make a very good low-carb creamy taco soup that we both enjoyed.  It soothed my throat quite a bit.  And after supper, between Mr. T and myself, we managed to get all of the gifts wrapped for Christmas day, and also assembled the crockpot full of Ranch House Chicken for Christmas dinner.


I've written about our lovely Christmas day over on my Christmas blog, so do head over there and read The Day After Christmas.  I didn't go to church myself due to still not feeling top-notch (I watched the livestream), but did join in on our family get-together since my scratchy throat is likely the same thing their kids have had.

But it was a lovely day, with beautiful music, thoughtful gifts, yummy food, and just precious family time.  A blessed Christmas day indeed!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry that you were not feeling quite up to snuff. When sickness hits at Christmastime, it doesn't seem at all fair. There should be no upsets at this time of year. Right. Wow! That was a lot of water running down the hill/mountain. So good that someone knew what to do. It was most effective.

    Kinda crazy that you were able to spend a night at the cabin. We're supposed to have a few more mild days, perhaps you'll be able to again.

    Have a great week and, if I don't get out and about, a very happy New Year to you and yours.


Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.