Sunday, December 11, 2022

Sunday Scripture

 

As I mentioned last week, in December 2020 I used Peace, Be Still: A 31-Day Christmas prayer journal, from Women Living Well.  I had thought I might use some of my simple study from this book as Scripture Sunday posts for this December.  I'm doing so, using different posts on each of my blogs to keep it interesting for all of my readers.  I will take two from each week's study to use one each on my blogs, and maybe next December use more of them.

Also -- note that this simple study does not use the SOAP method as my studies usually do.  This one includes a verse for the day, a thought for the day,  a reflection question for the day and space to write a prayer for each day.  I tended to look at the verse a little bit in depth, and I tended (but not always) to answer the reflection question in the prayer.  But of course you can use these any way you want to.   Here goes with the study for Week 2, Day 8!

Verse for the day:

"God, who at sundry times and in diverse manner spoke in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
"Hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, whom He hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also He made the worlds;
"Who, being the brightness of His glory, and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high." (Hebrews 1:1-3)

My study:

I wrote out verses 1 through 3, because reading back that far really helps us with context.  In time past, God spoke by His prophets.  But now He has spoken to us by His Son -- the very One whom "He hath appointed heir of all things" (verse 2) and the One "by whom also Her made the worlds", The Creator God!

Jesus is "the brightness of God's glory" (verse 3).  Jesus is "the express image of God's person."  Jesus is "upholding all things by the word of His power."  Jesus alone purged our sins and is now seated "at the right hand of the Majesty on High."

Reflection question:

How have you seen the power of Jesus revealed in your life? 

Oh my, so many ways!  Of course the very biggest is how He transformed my life when I trusted Him as Savior.  But I see His power at work every day in my life as He gives me strength, answers prayer, and works out situations for my good and for His glory.

My prayer:

Dear God, What a picture this gives us of who Jesus is!  He is the brightness of Your glory!  He is the express image of Your Person!  He is the One by whom You made all things -- and He continues to uphold all things by the word of His power!  He purged our sins and is now seated at Your right hand.  How magnificent He is!  And, since all things are being upheld by the word of Your power, I need not fear -- no matter out of control things may look.  They have never been out of Your control, and they never will be.  I praise You for this and for all things, in Jesus' name, Amen.

That's our Sunday Scripture for today!  It was a blessing and encouragement to me to review this passage, and I'm sure this look at our all-powerful Lord encouraged you as well.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this devotional. The Lord is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. He is never at a loss or out of control. It's wonderful to think about. Nothing is all up to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this scripture. I love reading it again and drinking it in. What a beautiful picture of Christ..."the express image" of God the Father! Oh, how marvelous to think that one day we will be face to face with Christ our Savior...and see the brightness of His glory, and we will bow down at His feet in awe and thanksgiving for all He had done for us. What a glorious day that will be...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful scripture and so perfect for this time that we're celebrating Jesus' birthday! You devotional, Mrs. T was a special blessing to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.