Friday, October 10, 2008

Simply sewed fall ornaments


Today I want to show you all a few fall ornaments I created a number of years ago. Basically, they are like tiny pillows which you make by sewing small squares (with an applique ironed onto the front one) together front to front, catching in the ends of a jute or ribbon piece for a hanger. Leave an opening for stuffing.  Turn the ornament right side out, using something like a chopstick to make the corners square.  Press flat, then stuff lightly with fiberfill and hand-sew the opening closed. I can't remember what size I cut the squares, but the finished product is about 3 inches square, so the unsewed squares must have been 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inches square.

At top is an apple ornament hanging from a cupboard doorknob.


Below you see another apple, a pumpkin, and a sunflower. I apologize for the quality of the photos. I was experimenting with how the ornaments would look on the rug in the sunlight.

Two with autumn leaves. The third is just a little leftover cutout from a craft panel. I thought it would look sort of cute on an ornament, and was pleased with the result.

Another pumpkin, another sunflower, and a jack o'lantern.

These are such a fun way to use up small scraps of fabric. I have always thought it would be fun to make some for all seasons, and especially for Christmas.

I recommend this little project to you and hope that you may give it a try!

Happy Crafting!

2 comments:

  1. Too cute Mrs T...I am cross stitching today . I may get my Father Christmas done before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Arlene! I saw your Father Christmas on your blog. It is coming along really well!

    Thanks for stopping in... please come by anytime!

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.