Friday, July 20, 2012

Summertime Tuna Rice Salad

 Here is one of our favorite summer suppers, on the menu for next week.  I found this recipe in the August 2000 issue of my favorite cooking newsletter, Cook & Tell.  It was sent in by a subscriber, Judith Woodbury, to whom I owe a debt of thanks for this wonderful recipe.

SUMMERTIME  TUNA  RICE  SALAD
Half of a 20-ounce can pineapple chunks, drained
1 6-ounce can best white tuna, drained and flaked
2 cups freshly cooked rice with butter and salt, cooled to room temperature*
1/3 cup toasted slivered or sliced almonds
1/3 cup mayonnaise
A bed of greens to serve the salad on

Lightly mix together everything except the greens.  (Sometimes I like to add lemon pepper to taste.  It seems to enhance the pineapple and tuna flavors. -- Mrs. T)  Arrange a bed of greens on a serving platter or in a large serving bowl and pile the salad on top.  May be served cold or at room temperature.  Serves 4.

*  I often omit any butter.

And I usually double the recipe so there will be some left over.  We simply love this summer salad and I hope that some of you will try it, too.

(Maybe you would also like to try subscribing to Cook & Tell, for many more great recipes.  Link is in the sidebar if you'd like to check it out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.