Thursday, October 13, 2016

A fun little project to usher in Fall


... and it will also get you a head start on some stocking stuffers or little Christmas gifts!

For whatever reason, owls always make me think of autumn.  So this would seem the perfect time to share this handmade gift idea!  (I actually thought I had already shared it on one of my blogs, but I can't find it anywhere, so ... here you go.)

I made some of these little Owl Heat Packs a couple of years ago as quick gifts for some of my grandchildren.  I was in a hurry when I finished these two but quickly snapped a picture.

These little hot packs (they can be gently heated in the microwave) were a real hit with the grandkids who received them.  In fact, one of my littlest grands, Arielle, likes to steal the owls belonging to her older brothers and sister.  So her mom suggested an owl hot pack of her own might be a great gift for Ari.  I am going to make hers this week, Lord willing, and use it as a gift for her birthday in November.

This is such a simple project, and it's great for using up bits and pieces of fabric.  I like to use flannel for the ones I make, as I think it makes the owls extra cozy.

I'm even thinking I will use this pattern (but just stuff them with fiberfill) to make some little owl stuffed animals to put in my Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes. These cute little owls might be just what some child needs to cuddle with!

10 comments:

  1. How lovely! These are so cute ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they, Summer? And so easy to make, too!

      Delete
  2. I love this idea Mrs T. And they would make cute Christmas ornaments as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will get that sewing machine yet, Arlene! If I had a getaway place like the one you are building, I would definitely plan in a nook for a sewing machine. I don't do much with large sewing projects any more, but I have fun with smaller ones.

      Delete
  3. Those are so cute. Thank you for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Marie! So happy you are going to make some of these!

      Delete
  4. These are just darling, I need some for myself, lol! Thanks for sharing the link too. I am lining up some sewing projects for this winter, I think this may be one of them! Hugs to you today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun with this idea, Marilyn! I had sort of forgotten about these until my daughter suggested that little Ari needed one of her own. They are cute. I have gone so far as to print out the pattern and choose fabrics. Guess this will be a project for next week!

      Delete
  5. Well, is those aren't just the cutest! Thanks for sharing, sweet frined.

    Happy weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed seeing this project, Stephanie. Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.