Monday, October 17, 2016

Spinach-Artichoke Spaghetti Squash


Photo from Taste and Tell Blog
Squash recipes are a natural for fall.  Buttercup squash is our top favorite in this house.  Butternut would be our second favorite.  Acorn squash is okay if filled with something.  Blue Hubbard is not a favorite at all.  Too much work -- one has to cut it up with a hatchet or drop it onto a hard surface to even get into it, and the squash is just more watery than we like.  We planted Blue Hubbard squash in our first garden and of course we used it all because we were very poor (and frugal) and we had to eat something.  I made a lot of squash cookies that fall!

Spaghetti squash is one that we hadn't tried much, but there are some great ways to use it.  Our local supermarket has spaghetti squash for 79¢ per pound this fall, so it's a great buy right now.  I recently tried a recipe which we really, really liked, so I am passing it on to you!  It's from Taste and Tell Blog and is for a meatless main dish -- Spinach Artichoke Spaghetti Squash.  It has the wonderful flavors of spinach artichoke dip in a much healthier format.  This sauce is wonderful mixed in with the tender, pasta-like strands of spaghetti squash.

I should add that I didn't serve the squash in the shell as directed in the recipe and as pictured here.  I made the sauce in a large skillet and then just scraped out the squash strands and added them to the skillet, stirred it together well, sprinkled mozzarella cheese on top and heated through, covered, so the cheese would melt.  Also, I didn't microwave the squash, but baked it (cut in half, seeds removed, placed cut sides down in a baking dish with a little water added) for about an hour, which was just perfect.  

I served this with a colorful medley of roasted vegetables on the side.  I used sweet potatoes, yellow potatoes, red pepper, yellow pepper, and onion. 

We're having this for supper again tonight!  Maybe you would like to try this yourself for an autumn supper.  I recommend it highly!


2 comments:

  1. I don't care for squash, but even I like it roasted in the oven. You made me laugh about the Blue Hubbard squash. The best thing about it is that it is pretty. And pretty big, too. I bought one at the farmstand for $20. I had no idea...it was being sold by the pound. Believe me, I was not happy about the price and especially when John had to use a hacksaw to get into it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Blue Hubbards ARE a pretty color. I believe that I have seen some pumpkins (maybe an heirloom variety?) in that color. They would probably be cheaper (and so would paint!) if one just wanted a gourd of that color around. $20! Wow! And it's not even all that tasty. Oh well, a learning experience. I think we initially planted them because my husband loves squash and thought the bigger, the better -- plus, a relative (maybe his grandfather) grew them and suggested we do the same. Not a mistake that we repeated!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.