Saturday, March 19, 2022

A small project completed

 

 Just popping in on a Saturday with a little story about a recently-completed project.   Many years ago,  I spotted the gorgeous fabric above in our local Ames department store.  It features these sweet vignettes framed in birch branches on a brown background strewn with pine cones, pine sprigs, and holly.  The vignettes (not all visible in this photo) include snowflakes, skis, deer, snowshoes, and a sweet log cabin.  I had no idea what I would do with this fabric -- it was a pre-measured 2-yard piece  and there was not another one like it -- but it spoke to me somehow, the price was right,  and so I bought it.

Over the intervening decades, I came across it in my fabric stash a number of times and mused about what I could make with it.  A few years back now, I decided I would just make it into a simple winter throw.  I bought 2 yards of brown flannel to back it with, then washed both fabrics so I would be ready when the time came.

 I'm sure you can guess that the time never came.  It never does, right?  But in God's timing, it did.  When my hubby and I took a week looking after things at a Christian camp this month, I brought along my sewing machine and fabrics.  At last my dream project, simple as it was, became reality.

 You can see the directions I used here: Flannel Throw Blanket.  The only additional step I took was to top-stitch all around the edge.  

A kindle photo taken in a lamplit room at evening, so not the best.  But you get the idea!

And now ... the throw is at home in our little camp!  Due to an unseasonably warm day yesterday and a fairly warm night for March, we were able to stay over there last night.  I brought along the finished throw and it looks very much at home on the back of the couch.  

It will be comfy for friends and family to snuggle under in any season.  The camp is the perfect place for it to be!

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful story. The fabric is gorgeous. I understand why you bought it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I absolutely couldn't resist it.

      Delete
  2. It looks as if your camp was the spark for that charming design. I have never seen such sweet fabric. How fine to sneak in a night there. Grab them when you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the fabric is amazing, isn't it? So happy to have it where I can see it and enjoy it every time we are at camp.

      Yes, it is always fine to sneak in a night there. So far the only month we have not worked out a stay there is February. We're hoping to do that in 2023!

      Delete
  3. I love that fabric and the wonderful little throw you made for the camp. I remember Ames Dept. Store back when we lived in Conway, NH. I guess they went out of business some time ago now. I still have four Christmas mugs that I bought there; a winter tree scene with little woodland animals. I use them for hot chocolate or tea during the Christmas season. I would love to pull that cozy throw around me while enjoying a little visit to your camp! Great idea indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your woodland animal Christmas mugs sound so sweet! I will have to check your blog to see if I can find pictures, as I would love to see them.

    Tell you what, if you get to New England again sometime we will have you over for a meal at the camp if it fits into your schedule.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.