Wednesday, March 09, 2022

Hodgepodge for March 9

 

Somehow it's Wednesday again, and time for the Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond, where Joyce asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers.  Here we go ...

 1. Where do you get your news these days? 

For the past couple years, we have been thankful subscribers to The Epoch Times.  It's such a relief to read honest, uncensored news.  Our subscription also gives us access to Epoch TV, where we find a wealth of thought-provoking interviews and news.  [A trial subscription is very inexpensive, so if you are unfamiliar with this newspaper you might wish to try it out.]  The print newspaper arrives once a week, but it's so filled with good articles that it takes us at least a week to read it.  News from The Epoch Times also arrives by email -- you can decide which emails to receive.  For years we subscribed to our state's daily newspaper, but it became so untrustworthy that we looked for a different news source, and are so thankful to have found such a good one.

Photo from Pixabay

2. It's National Crab Day...do you like crab meat? What makes you crabby? 

I do like crab meat, and even the imitation crab is not half bad.  A favorite recipe from years gone by that my kids enjoyed was Crabbies, open face cheesy crab sandwiches on English muffins.   Usually served as an appetizer, we enjoyed them as a quick meal with tomato soup.  

Photo from This Mama Loves

As to what makes me crabby, right now one thing that does so is the fact that masks are still required on airplanes and in airports.  Completely ineffective and unnecessary.

3. Does freedom mean more choices? Have you ever felt there were too many choices? Elaborate. 

I don't think freedom necessarily means more choices.  (See the dictionary definition below.)  I would be very satisfied just to be able to freely exercise the rights that we have as citizens, which have been seen to be very precarious in the past couple of years.

Sometimes I do feel as if there are too many choices ... especially, say, on supermarket shelves.    While it's nice to have so much variety, sometimes it can feel overwhelming.  A first world problem.  We are so spoiled. 
  
4. Barbara Millicent Roberts was introduced to the world on March 9, 1959...that's Barbie to most of us. Did you have Barbies as a kid, or did you let your own children play with Barbies? What well known Barbara (living or not) would you most like to meet? 

I did have a Barbie, one of the first ones that came with a blonde ponytail and a black and white striped bathing suit.  I also had a Barbie Dream House, and spent many enjoyable hours playing Barbies.  I did let my daughters play with Barbies, and they enjoyed them too.  They even had Barbie coloring and activity books, which they loved.  As far as a well-known Barbara, I would say perhaps I might like to have met Barbara Bush. 

5. What are three things you value most in another person?

Integrity, kindness, and the ability to keep a confidence.

Sweet image by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings

 6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Mr. T and I had a great week last week as we had the unique opportunity to "caretake" a Christian camp.  By that I mean staying onsite and checking on the buildings, etc. every day, doing any necessary snow removal, and more.  But it was a very relaxing week, especially for me.  It was quite cold and windy most of the time, but Mr. T found a nice afternoon to go snowshoeing, and I found a glassed in porch that was perfect for cross stitching.


And that wraps up the Hodgepodge for this week!  Why not head on over to From This Side of the Pond and snag the questions to answer on your own blog?


16 comments:

  1. Oh, how wonderful you were able to spend that time at camp and enjoy the beauty of it, even if there was some work involved. Sounds like a perfect set up to me. I agree with you on all of your answers. I also had the first Barbie (in 1960), but mine had a black ponytail and the same bathing suit. My cousin and I created our own Barbie houses and spent many happy hours on the living room floor of her house in the summer playing with our Barbies. Precious memories. I still have my Barbie, safely watching the world go by from her luxury apartment of my china closet, surrounded by crystal and antique china. What a life! Have a blessed and beautiful day my friend. Stay warm! Spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a wonderful getaway and the work, even for my hubby, was fairly minimal. I did very little work other than preparing meals, cleaning up after them, and then doing some cleaning on the day we left.

      Oh, the hours I spent with my Barbie and other dolls! That dream house was like a dream come true for me. I had way too much fun with it.

      Delete
  2. What a fun getaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, Lisa! We had such a good time.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on masks. I literally have not worn one in over a year and then we went into the place where you can play pinball and they required it. And this was after the federal mandates were dropped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so annoying. In our town and our state the mandates actually specified "cloth face coverings" which are completely and totally useless. Thankfully the state and town mandates have now been dropped.

      Delete
  4. Well that looks like a fun snowy getaway. I love the quiet of snow. So glad you were able to enjoy all the beauty too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love both the quiet and beauty of snow. Winter is not my favorite season, but there are many things I do like about it.

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a great caretaking job at the camp. In the past we have done the camp cleanup days to get things ready for the season. I do appreciate Epoch news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did that last year, preparing the camp for the season in many ways, and then also helping to prepare it for winter after the fall retreats. It was such a blessing to be able to help.

      We really enjoy Epoch Times. Truth and tradition!

      Delete
  6. The camp sounds like a wonderful getaway! I had a picture of that Barbie in the black and white swimsuit on my blog post today. Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a wonderful getaway, Tanya. Just the two of us on that large campsite felt a little odd at first, but we got used to it. We were happy to be able to help out. A benefit of retirement for sure.

      Delete
  7. What a fun get a way! The quietness of the snow is so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a lot of fun. It's a beautiful place and just lovely in the snow.

      Delete
  8. I have heard of Epoch Times, but I haven't read it. I've been curious because it seem that it is not much more unbiased than others, but I could be wrong (since I haven't read it). My biggest struggle with it all is that all sides seem to be willing to do and say what is necessary to get their own followers...Uggh. I tend to be what I've heard by someone as "alt-middle".

    Those crab sandwiches look amazing! THat sounds like a fun week. For quite a few years, my inlaws were involved in Christian Camping and worked at two Christian retreat centers one in PA and one here in WA. They loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have found the Epoch Times print newspaper to be quite unbiased. They simply stand for truth and tradition and let people make up their own minds.

      We haven't made Crabbies for years and years. I guess it's time to make a batch! They really are good.

      That sounds like a great situation for your inlaws. We really enjoy getting to be a very small part of what God is doing at The Wilds of New England.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.