Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Hodgepodge takes a Roman holiday

 

 Wednesday again, and time for the Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond, where Joyce asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers.  Here we go ...

 1. It's March 15th and as the saying goes-"Beware the Ides of March". Have you read or studied much Shakespeare? Do you have a favorite Shakespeare play? 

I studied some Shakespeare in high school -- I think we studied something by him every year, but the ones I remember are The Merchant of Venice, Julius Caesar, and Macbeth.  I really can't say that I have a favorite Shakespeare play.

How do you feel about a Caesar salad? 

I don't care for anchovies, so I don't love a traditional Caesar salad.  But years ago I found this recipe: Lemon Artichoke Romaine Salad, and it has been a favorite ever since.  It is close enough to a Caesar salad for me.


2. Have you ever been to Rome? If so what do you love about the city? If not, any desire to go?

I have never been to Rome and really have no desire to go there.   Possibly another Italian city, like maybe Venice, but not Rome.

3. What's your favorite place to 'roam'? 

Hmmm ...  Well, I would say either the Maine coast or various regions of New Hampshire.   We have a dream of renting a convertible some beautiful autumn day and taking time to explore a number of back roads all over the state.  We also love exploring hiking and walking trails anywhere we happen to be in this beautiful region.  Read about the photo below, from roaming much closer to home,  here: Mental health day.

Photo above is from a fine spring day and a "mental health" hike we took a few years back with our daughter and family.

4. Do you like pizza? Thick or thin crust? Red sauce-white sauce-other? Your favorite toppings? How do you feel about pineapple on a pizza? 

I do like pizza and prefer it with a thicker crust, though thin is fine -- especially if cooked in a wood-fired oven.  I like it with red sauce, but my favorite sauce for topping a homemade pizza is pesto.   My favorite toppings for a pesto-sauced pizza include roasted vegetables, Italian-blend cheese, and freshly ground Italian seasonings from one of those spice grinder jars.

I first got the idea, though, from this recipe: Pesto Vegetable Pizza.  It's yummy, so if you'd like to try this concept without winging it as I so often do, there's the link back there in green.

I do like pineapple with ham on a pizza.  I also like a barbecue chicken pizza, in which case I will spread barbecue sauce on the pizza and top with colby jack and/or cheddar cheese, plus cooked chicken and sometimes red and green pepper strips.

5.  'Rome wasn't built in a day'...tell us how this expression applies to something in your home-life-job currently (or recently)? 

Trying to get a start on another round of decluttering and downsizing. Three boxes are ready for the thrift store, but that's only making a very small dent.  Still, it's a beginning.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Why is it so difficult to get rid of books? (Speaking of decluttering, as we were above.)  I'm sure I've mentioned more than once in cleaning out the old homestead, that my parents had hundreds of books, shelved or stacked in nearly every room in their house, including the cellar.  As you might guess, this experience made Mr. T and me decide that we would downsize our own books.  (I will admit that they are mostly mine.)  I had a goal this past week to get rid of 20 books.  I managed to get rid of more like 30 books, but it's so hard!  I'm doing better, though, and will set a goal for another 20 books this week.

And that wraps up the Hodgepodge for this week!  Why not head on over to From This Side of the Pond and snag the questions to answer on your own blog?

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on culling books!
    Nowadays, places in this area of Vermont, want newer good condition book donations. That makes it difficult for booksellers as well as readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a problem parting with books too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I will come with you on your back road travels in the convertible. :-)
    It is not easy to part with books, I completely understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me about the books! I had a bad enough problem and married one with a much worse problem. When I sold John's house and barn there were about 50 boxes of packed books that I had not been able to get rid of. I suggested that perhaps the new owner could burn them. He looked horrified and said that he could never do that. Makes me wonder what he did do.

    As a young woman, I would have liked the idea of a convertible ride through New Hampshire. Now a cozy blankie ride with hot coffee ride sounds better. 😊

    I don't want to ever go to Rome either. Your pizza eating sounds very adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, a back road trip in the New England area in the fall would be something I would LOVE to do again. We did do that when we lived there and also when we would go up to visit our son and family in Maine in October. We'd take the back road to Fryeburg Fair, which was always a beautiful ride with lots of "leaf peeping". Maybe we'll go back up and do that again someday. I do miss it. Parting with books is very hard for me. When we moved to this house we did get rid of quite a few, but still there are too many that we just don't ever look at. But many are the type that no one else wants either...and I just can't bring myself to throw them away. What to do, what to do? That's why I don't buy books anymore. I get them from the library and take them back when done! Have a wonderful almost spring day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a lot of waterfall hikes in our part of SC and the nearby mountains of NC and we enjoy exploring those too. That salad looks good...I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a problem parting with books. Before hub passed away, we were planning to drive up to Maine and enjoy the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like anchovies but I can handle Caesar salad. Lol. I was in Venice in 2019. That was pretty cool. We are planning a trip to the New England states and I'm excited to roam. Decluttering and downsizing can sure be a task. I'll be doing that in my kitchen soon. Books are hard to get rid of but I'm actually getting ready to give some to a gal who was asking around for some new books to read. I can part easier with fiction because I usually only read it once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We also love backroad roaming excursions. A big agree with no anchovies as well as getting rid of books. When we moved a little over a year ago, I had to get rid of so many books, and now we wish we had made an effort to find a place for many of them in our new home. Oh well, I'm still having a hard time getting rid of old magazines. Does anyone else hate to throw away a magazine?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.