Tuesday, March 29, 2022

This year's maple-themed decor

 

 I really should share this year's maple-themed decorating with you all.   I posted a few photos on Instagram but nothing here on the blog.  So here are just a few photos and I'll add a little explanatory text with each one.

It's important to me to celebrate maple season each spring.  It was such a wonderful part of my life growing up, and still is.  Early spring could be a very discouraging season here in New Hampshire -- usually there's still a good bit of snow in addition to a lot of mud.  It's exceedingly rare that any spring flower, no matter how hardy, dares to show its head.  Sugaring time adds a spark of fun to the season as well as a wonderful purpose -- producing maple syrup to enjoy throughout the coming year.

Above are the basic maple themed shelves on my hutch.  Old maple syrup tins, a couple of "sugar cake" molds, and some vintage sugaring photos on the top shelf.

Below it, old and new jadeite, a maple syrup pitcher, and a couple of tiny brown birds.  I added the "blessed" sign just because I am blessed!

The above photo shows the entire hutch.  A bit blurry.  All of these photos were taken with the Kindle.

I added maple decor to the living room this year as well, atop a bookcase in a corner of the room.

 

Just a favorite lantern, a sap spile, some maple sugaring art, a syrup tin shaped like a cabin, and maple syrup labels from back in the day when Mr. T's grandfather and mine both made maple syrup to sell.

A closer look.


Above is the dining table with a maple-themed centerpiece.  A small cake dome contains a cabin-shaped maple syrup tin and a small wooden tree.
The cake dome is centered on a sugaring-themed linen towel.
From this end of the cake dome you can just see the wooden tree behind the cabin.

 Above is a closer look at that fascinating linen towel.  If you can't read it, it says "With warm days and freezing nights,  sweet impulsive life stirs in the woods.  Sap's A-Runnin'".  That is a wooden sap bucket at lower left. The red item is a wooden neck yoke which enabled the wearer to carry two gathering buckets at once.  A chickadee is perched on the yoke.

And there is just a little peek at this year's maple decor.  Hope it gives you just a tiny taste of New Hampshire maple sugaring season.

7 comments:

  1. Oh how "sweet"! (pun intended). I love Maple Syrup and wish we could get the real thing here in Florida fresh from the trees/sap buckets, etc. I miss that. I used to have a little log cabin syrup tin like that. I used to have a collection of syrup tins when we lived in NH. I guess I got rid of them in subsequent moves. Thank you for these sweet reminders. I used to love to see the Maple Sugaring houses as we'd drive through the country up there. Always so fascinating. Love that linen tea towel too. All's good!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that linen tea towel sweet, though? I found that, never used, still with its tag, tucked in a dresser drawer at my childhood home. Obviously someone had gifted them with it but they never used or even displayed it. I had never seen it before.

      Yes, maple sugaring is a special season with a special product. So thankful I grew up with firsthand involvement in it, and even more so that my grandkids can have that.

      Delete
  2. Lovely maple themed decor
    The cabin tin is precious. They still make glass cabin containers for maple syrup that are also adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glass cabin containers do sound adorable! I have seen the glass maple leaf containers and those are lovely also.

      Delete
  3. Perfect decor for your corner! I miss seeing the sap buckets on my neighbor's trees. (Unfortunately, the business owners lost their home and business in a fire and never started back up again.) You have created some sweet vignettes. I have always loved the wee cabin container for maple syrup. Gosh, I'm getting hungry for French toast or pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vee! The reason you're no longer seeing those sap buckets on your neighbor's trees is so sad! Heart-rending.

      This year I've been seeing buckets on trees in the woods around my house, as Mr. T decided to tap some. He is hauling the sap to Jim's sugaring setup as he collects it. Think the season is close to ending.

      Yes, those wee cabins are adorable. I'm blessed to have two of them!

      Delete
  4. How fun to look at your maple syrup collectables. And how sweet (pun intended) it must be to have these things. I'm glad you pointed out what the tea towel says. I was admiring the picture, but didn't think to try to read what was written there. Thanks for sharing these things with us, Mrs. T.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.