Monday, March 21, 2022

One new thing ...

 

 My One New Thing for this week was cooking with parsnips and also trying a new chowder recipe.  Now I have tasted parsnips (my dad used to love them, and someone recently included them in a crockpot dish at church), but I have never bought them or cooked with them that I can remember.  

But I was tempted by this recipe in Yankee magazine for Roasted Winter Vegetable and White Bean Chowder.

You can see all five featured chowder recipes here in this article: In the Thick of It.   I changed the recipe a whole lot, and also adapted it to make in a slow cooker,  so I will write it down as I prepared it.  If you prefer to try the recipe and method as written, by all means do that.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients

  • 3½ cups diced butternut squash

  • 2½ cups sliced carrots

  • 2 cups diced russet potatoes

  • 1 cup sliced parsnips

  • 2 tablespoons plus 3 tablespoons olive oil 

  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided

  • 3 cups diced onion

  • 1 cup diced celery

  • Dried thyme to taste

  • Dried rosemary to taste 

  • 1 bay leaf

  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

  • 2 tablespoons flour (all-purpose or gluten-free)

  • 6 cups chicken stock

  • 2 (14-ounce) cans great northern beans, drained

  • Half-and-half to taste

  • Fresh thyme springs and ground paprika or smoked paprika, for garnish, optional

Instructions

Heat your oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss the butternut squash, carrots, potatoes, and parsnips with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Divide these vegetables between two large rimmed baking sheets and roast until tender and browned, about 40 minutes, turning them a few times while roasting. 

While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the soup base. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, then add the onion, celery, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, black pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt, then cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 6 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Place the roasted vegetables in a slow cooker. Stir in the soup base you have prepared. Cook on Low for several hours.  Stir in half-and-half to taste.  Serve hot, garnished with fresh thyme sprigs and a sprinkle of paprika if desired.  I didn't bother.

 This made a lot of chowder! We ate it for at least three meals and I finished it off for lunch yesterday.  It was really delicious.  I did have to add more broth when we reheated it, but that was fine.  

 But what about the parsnips, you ask?  I chose to use them because I thought perhaps roasting would make a difference as it does with many other vegetables.  It really didn't mellow their flavor much.  I suppose if I had used the fennel bulb it called for, that might have disguised the parsnip flavor.  We aren't huge fans of fennel (other than fennel seed in pizza, etc.) so I chose not to spend the money on that.

I will definitely make this chowder again, but my opinion of parsnips really hasn't changed.  I can take them or leave them, and next time I will leave them out.  Being in the current mode of not wasting any food if I can help it, I'll find a creative use for them.  And that may be another new thing!

6 comments:

  1. I thought parsnips tasted a lot like carrots, but maybe I am wrong? I think I only had them once a long time ago, and I don't remember any unusual flavor to them. This recipe sounds really good. I may have to try it. Thank you for sharing it. I'd probably leave out the parsnips too, mainly because I don't ever see them here in our stores. I guess they are more of a northern vegetable that never gained popularity here in the south. Or maybe I just never looked for them! LOL. I may have to check next time I go to the store. Anyway, it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are similar to carrots but have a different flavor. The dictionary calls them "a long tapering cream-colored root with a sweet flavor" but I wouldn't describe the flavor as "sweet". It's a sharper flavor than a carrot somehow.

      I think you're right that they're more of a northern vegetable.

      But the chowder is good, I can vouch for that.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a recipe that you will be tweaking. Since I am only one, I think I shall pass. I'd definitely pass on the parsnips. I know all too well what it is like eating leftovers for many meals. To illustrate the point, I'll be eating spaghetti for breakfast. 🥴

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not blame you for giving the recipe a pass, Vee. It just looked so good in the photo that I simply had to give it a try.

      Spaghetti for breakfast sounds like something I would do. As a child and teen, I detested eggs (let's just say that I had good reason to) and didn't care for cereal because I didn't like and had trouble digesting milk. So my mother allowed me to eat anything that would give me the necessary protein, from leftovers to a wonderful sandwich of fried bologna and cheddar. I still enjoy leftovers for breakfast!

      Delete
  3. I've never tasted a parsnip in my life. I wonder if roasting it in the oven would bring out its sweetness like it does with other root vegetables?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were roasted with other veggies for the chowder recipe. It didn't seem to make much difference.

      Last night, though, I found that roasting them for a side dish (along with cubed butternut squash, onion wedges, and plenty of olive oil and Italian seasoning) did help a lot.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.