Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Apple Cranberry Crisp

Angie asked for details on this crisp, mentioned in my menu plan for this coming Sunday. I think I posted this with some other apple recipes back in August, but to save people searching for it and possibly getting a "page not found" type of error when they click the link (as I did this morning) I figured I would just post it again. It's perfect right now when the fresh cranberries and apples are both available.


APPLE CRANBERRY CRISP

3 cups chopped unpeeled apples
2 cups raw cranberries
3/4 cup sugar
TOPPING:
1 1/2 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup canola oil

Combine the apples, cranberries and sugar in a 9” square baking dish or a 2-qt. casserole dish. Mix thoroughly to blend; set aside. Combine topping ingredients until crumbly; spread evenly over fruit layer. Bake at 350ยบ for 1 hour or until the fruit is fork-tender. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Yield: 6-8 servings.

This is a wonderful dessert to make in the fall when apples and cranberries are both fresh. But it tastes good anytime! I’ve adapted this recipe from the original to make it healthier and lower in fat and sugar.

4 comments:

  1. Mrs. T - Thank you so much for the repost of the recipe. I have printed it out and can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! I'm looking forward to making this for Sunday's lunch dessert... if we have company. If they don't come, I probably won't make dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. T,

    I'm Darcy, Patty's daughter. I'm hoping to make this wonderful Apple Cranberry Crisp tonight after the hussle and bussle of the day is over and was wondering...the raw cranberries, do you mean the whole ones that are out in the stores right now for Thanksgiving??

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Darcy!

    I am so happy to meet you... any daughter of Patty's is a friend of mine! What a sweet and special mom you are blessed to have.

    Yes, the fresh cranberries -- the ones you can find in the produce sections right now -- are the ones to use. They do go right into the crisp raw, as you thought. It bakes for almost an hour, so the apples and cranberries have plenty of time to cook. It is a really wonderful dessert (and relatively healthy, too). Our company yesterday enjoyed it very much. I topped each serving with a little dollop of the pressurized whipped cream.

    Hope you enjoy the crisp! Stop by my kitchen table anytime...

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.