Sunday, December 10, 2006

December 10 -- Macaroon Kiss Cookies


Here's another of my favorite Christmas cookies. I don't make them every year, but they're on my baking list for this year!


MACAROON KISS COOKIES
1/3 cup butter, softened 1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tsp. almond extract
2 tsp. orange juice
1 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt 5 cups flaked coconut, divided 9 oz. Hershey milk chocolate kisses, unwrapped (about 54)


Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk, extract, and orange juice; beat well. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture until well blended. Stir in 3 cups coconut. Cover dough and chill it for about 1 hour.


Shape the dough in 1” balls. Roll balls in remaining coconut; place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom. Remove from oven and press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet, then carefully remove to racks to cool until chocolate is firm. Makes 4 1/2 dozen.


I found this recipe many years ago in an old Early American Life magazine being discarded by the library. These cookies are delicious and very festive-looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.