Monday, December 04, 2006

December 4 -- A small but thoughtful Christmas care package



Do you have faraway friends you'd like to remember with a little something at Christmas time? Here's what I did one year. The friends I sent this to were so surprised and pleased. I wanted to send them just a taste of Christmas in our home, and they said they really felt a part of our Christmas.

I lined a small (recycled) box with red and green tissue paper, then filled the box with a few things that would give them a taste of our Christmas. Things like:

* A small foil package of holiday fudge

* A small tin of some favorite Christmas cookies

* A homemade packet of spices for hot cider

* Some handmade sparkly heart ornaments -- the ones with bells sewed on, so our friends would hear a festive jingle as they opened the package

* Shreds of red & green paper (the type sold as filler for gift baskets)

* A few little hemlock cones from our woods

* A sprinkle of metallic Christmas confetti

You could include many different things, keeping the emphasis on "small" and "lightweight". Be imaginative and send your friends something that will really help them to feel they are sharing in your Christmas joy. (I buy things like the confetti and the red & green paper shreds when they are on sale at season's end and just store them until the next Christmas.)

A package like this doesn't cost much at all to send, but it is such a nice surprise for your friends to receive!




2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:25 AM

    Hi Mrs. T..all your ideas just sound great. I was making up a package for friends in Indiana. You have given me some good ideas. I am going to try the poinsettia brownies too.
    Blessings, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Patty! I'm sure your friends will love everything you send. It's such a blessing to have dear friends remember us at holiday time. (I just received a letter from a friend I haven't seen in years. She had just found a recipe of mine that was published in a magazine, and decided it was time to write! What a blessing to hear from her!)

    Have fun with the poinsettia brownies! I'm been enjoying seeing all of the recipes you've been posting in Patty's Pantry this month!

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.