Yes, I think this was it ... the oldest unfinished object in my craft room. I can't tell you what a great feeling of accomplishment it was to finally cross this off my list after 30+ years.
My husband used to love playing chess. At the time I started this project, he was in the process of acquiring a set of collectible chessmen. I had seen this nifty chessboard needlepoint rug in a magazine and decided that he needed to have one as a fitting backdrop for his chessmen. I sent away for the pattern, yarn, and canvas needed. There were no craft stores in our area then; just a department store or two that did sell craft supplies, but nothing like this.
|A closer look at the medieval village border; you can see the color difference in the inner tan border to the upper right.|
Partway through the project, I ran out of one color of yarn for the inner border. I matched it locally as best I could (there were only a few inches to go) and continued on. And, after a number of years (I can't even remember how many), I finally finished the stitching. Meanwhile, my husband almost never played chess anymore and has never even used the collectible chessmen now residing in the attic.
|This shows a corner motif. Two are trees, and two are suns.|
The rug, folded in a pile with other UFOs, grew old and tired looking as it waited for me to figure out how to finish it. A couple of years ago I decided to finish it, but it was dusty and creased so I tried washing it. I figured if it got totally destroyed, I could then throw it away with a clear conscience. Well, it didn't get totally destroyed. But the canvas disintegrated on two opposite sides of it into fringes several inches long. I refolded the rug and returned it to the pile; it obviously couldn't be finished using any simple method.
This year I determined it would be finished. If nothing else, the grandkids would enjoy playing checkers on it. So I took it in hand. The intact edges were sewed down on the back of the rug. The fringed edges were taped down with yellow duct tape on the back. Then I cut a piece of light green felt to fit the back and sewed it in place to protect the stitching. Finally, to tie everything together, I crocheted a black edging around the entire rug.
Finished at last! Bring on the checkers!