Sunday, November 28, 2021

Sunday Scripture


As promised, I'm back with a Sunday Scripture post focusing on thanksgiving.  I mentioned Wednesday that that post, and this one, are from a Thanksgiving/fall study from Good Morning Girls that I did back in fall of 2013.  Sadly, it seems that this little 2-week study -- Focusing our Hearts on Gratitude -- is no longer available.  If anyone is interested in the Scripture verses to do your own little study, just let me know and I can send you the references.

 The verses I chose for today are from Day 6 of the study.  We were to read 1 Chronicles 29:1-20, and the verses to SOAP were 11-13.  ( Just a reminder that the S is for Scripture -- just write it out -- and the O is for Observation, the A is for Application and the P is for prayer -- concerning how you'll apply this verse or praise for what it means to you.  And if you've never tried this simple method, I hope that you will give it a try and see if you find it as helpful as I do.)

So without further ado, here is my simple study of 1 Chronicles 29:11-13:

S= "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory; and the victory, and the majesty; for all that is in the heaven and earth is Thine.  Thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and Thou art exalted as head above all.
"Both riches and honor come of Thee; and Thou reignest over all; and in Thine hand is power and might; and in Thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all.
"Now therefore, our God, we thank Thee, and praise Thy glorious name." (1Chronicles 29:11-13)

O= These verses are part of David's prayer of thanksgiving on the occasion of the people willingly giving gold, silver, precious stones, and more to be used in Solomon's Temple.

One repetition that stands out to me is David's references to God as King:
"Thine is the kingdom, O LORD";
"Thine, O LORD, is the majesty";
"Thou art exalted as head above all";
"Thou reignest over all".

"Power" is another repeated word:
"Thine, O LORD, is the power";
"In Thine hand is power and might".

"Glory" is another repeated theme:
"Thine, O LORD, is the glory";
"We praise Thy glorious name".

Verse 11 begins with one-word descriptions of some of God's characteristics:
*  Greatness
*  Power
*  Glory
*  Victory
*  Majesty

Verses 11-12 continue on with some complete statements about who God is:
*  All that is in heaven and earth is His.
*  His is the kingdom.
*  He is exalted as Head above all.
*  Both riches and honor come from Him.
*  He reigns over all.
*  In His hand are power and might.
*  In His hand it is to make great.
*  His hand gives strength unto all.

Verse 13 notes that therefore -- because of all that is true about God as stated in 11-12 -- we thank Him, and praise His glorious name.  

A=  Because God is Head above all, I must always acknowledge Him as King and as sovereign over my life. 
I must never forget that everything I have is a gift from His hand.
I must always look to Him for strength, as He is the only true source of strength.

God is always deserving of my thanks and praise for all that He has done and for everything that He is!

P= "Lord,  I praise You for all that You are!  Yours is the greatness, the power, the glory, the victory, and the majesty!  All that is in heaven and on earth belongs to You!  Yours is the kingdom, and You are rightly exalted as Head above all things!
"All that I have -- all that anyone has -- is from Your hand.  You are the Source of every good thing and of any strength that we have.
"Therefore, I thank and praise You, not only for all that You are, but for all that You have done and for all that You continue to do.  You are most worthy of praise!  In Jesus' name, Amen."

I hope that this fresh look at 1 Chronicles 29 was a blessing to you in this Thanksgiving season!  It certainly was to me -- and what a great reminder in these uncertain times that this Almighty God has all things under His sovereign control.

2 comments:

  1. It is always good to look at these familiar scriptures with fresh eyes. Have you your December lesson already chosen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scriptures...I don't read the Chronicles that often and am not as familiar with them as I ought to be...and now this makes me want to dig a little deeper into them. Thank you for sharing this with us. Yes, perfect for this season of Thanksgiving! (which should be all the time!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.