Wednesday, November 03, 2021

November 3 Hodgepodge

 

Wednesday again, and time for the Hodgepodge!  Here we go with the questions from Joyce for this week:

1. Three things you're grateful for this first week of November? 

1) The incredible gift of salvation through Christ's sacrifice on our behalf.

2) God's Word, the Bible, which is our love letter and instruction book from God.

3) A blessed day on Sunday (okay, technically that was October.  But it's this week).  We had such a wonderful day in church and were surprised when our dear friends Sam and Jenn arrived to share it with us, being in town for the weekend.  Later, they joined us and our next-door family at the camp for a nice visit, campfire, and s'mores. 

 

Graphic by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings

2. Is Daylight Savings Time a thing where you live? Do you think we should continue setting the clocks forward and back? Why or why not? If you could add an extra hour to your day would you want it added morning-noon-night? Do you think it likely you'd be more productive or more likely that you'd just waste more time? 

Yes, we have Daylight Savings Time here in New Hampshire.   I really don't have an opinion one way or the other as to whether or not to continue with it.  I don't like the way it gets dark so early after the time change, but on the other hand the light arrives earlier in the morning than it has been doing, so it's sort of a trade-off.  If I could add an extra hour to my day it would probably be in the morning when I am fresher and have some ambition for accomplishing things.  I would hope I'd be more productive with that extra hour.

3. Who is  your favorite author? Your favorite book by your favorite author? 

For non-fiction,  my favorite author is likely Gladys Taber.  Stillmeadow Daybook is one of my favorites of her many books, but I don't know if it's my very favorite.  For fiction authors, I love L.M. Montgomery, Jan Karon, and Jamie Langston Turner.  I would be hard-pressed to choose a favorite by any of those authors, because I enjoy all of them so much.

4. It's National Sandwich Day...will you celebrate? How often do you eat a sandwich? What's your favorite? 

I'll probably be celebrating by eating a sandwich because I eat a sandwich for lunch most days, but not always.  It's usually a wrap made with a low-carb wrapper, but today it's likely to be peanut butter and grape jam (the kind with fruit juice instead of sugar).   My very favorite sandwich: maybe a cheeseburger, or a Thanksgiving sub sandwich made with turkey, cranberry sauce and stuffing.  I might actually make one of those this week, come to think of it, because I'm cooking a turkey that's been in the freezer since Easter and it is just time.

The Thanksgiving Toasted, by D'Angelo Sandwich Shops, has long been a favorite of mine.

5. Have you started your Christmas shopping? If so when did you start? If not when will you start? Do you give more or fewer gifts than you did five years ago? 

Yes, I have started my Christmas shopping.   I'm thinking that I started it in May, since that is when I made a Shutterfly ornament as a potential Christmas gift for friends.    I'm not sure if I give more or fewer gifts than five years ago.  Probably fewer.   I may be 1/4 done with my Christmas shopping for 2021, maybe a little bit more.  You can read about the ornaments and other photo gifts in this post.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Sort of harking back to the first question, but not really because I had this thought just this morning as we were driving a dirt road overhung with glorious golden autumn trees:   We should be so incredibly grateful for every minute of every day of life God gives us.  I think we just tend not to say "thank You" often enough, and we should just be so thankful for each and every blessed moment.

A Thanksgiving card we received one year

And that's the Hodgepodge for this week!  (Wouldn't you like to join in on the Hodgepodge, too?  To get the questions and link up, head over to From This Side of the Pond.)

3 comments:

  1. Yes, to #6, we need to be thankful for every single day...there is ALWAYS something to be thankful for, and we really shouldn't have to look very hard to find it. I wish I could say I've begun my Christmas shopping. I tend to put it off as long as possible. I am not a good shopper nor am I very creative, so it becomes an issue for me. I think we are going to be doing a lot less this year anyway due to "the economy"...at least our own economy has suffered a bit and we just have to watch our spending. I enjoy being with our family and doing fun things together that aren't necessarily associated with gifts. To me the best gift is "presence"...just being together. Right now I am trying to figure out what we are doing for Thanksgiving. I'm curious...if you cook that turkey in your freezer NOW, what will you eat on Thanksgiving? Another turkey? I'm not a huge turkey fan, so one once a year is plenty for me. LOL. Oh, I also love L.M. Montgomery, and Jan Karon. Don't know the other one you mentioned. And Gladys Taber...I know my grandmother had some books by her and I think my father got them after she died, but then they disappeared when the estate was settled and I never saw them again. I do remember reading the Stillmeadow Sampler, I think it was called? I'll have to look that up again. Enjoy what's left of your beautiful autumn days...I am sure your leaves are almost gone by now and it is starting to look more like winter. Oh, and the time change? I know when we lived in NH I didn't like those long dark winter nights. I'd go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. That was very hard for me, being a girl from the south. Probably one of the biggest reasons why we ended up back in the south. But if I could spend the rest of the year up there in NH or Maine, I wouldn't mind that at all. Just not the long dark winters... LOL. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought of joining in, but now the moment has passed. Your sandwich sounds so good...the turkey one, I do enjoy sandwiches and could eat one every day. Gladys Taber is a treasure for sure. I dip in and out of her books often. As for Christmas...no shopping this year. Crazy times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers. all your sandwich ideas sound really good. I haven't heard of a few of the authors you mentioned. My grandma and mom read all the Jan Karon Mitford books. I'd like to find them used and read them. Or get them from the library sometime. I read the first one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.