Sunday, November 14, 2021

Sunday Scripture

 

For those who may be coming in late, I've been posting each Sunday for several months about a simple study of Psalms that I worked on throughout summer 2020.  It was a perfect study to be working on amid the uncertainties of that year -- and some of it was done sitting at picnic tables while camping in the midst of God's glorious creation.  There just couldn't have been a better backdrop --so awe-inspiring, and so many great reminders of God's amazing power and wisdom.

Although the study book covers all the rest of the book of Psalms, I only got as far as Psalm 129, so there will only be one more post in this series.  I'm not sure if I will continue these Sunday posts, but I may -- possibly with an Advent study I've previously completed.  We will see.

This Psalms study is another from Good Morning Girls.  Although I love working on more in-depth Bible studies, these simpler ones are also a blessing to do.  In fact, once I finish the GMG Psalms study, I hope to tackle a more in-depth study of the same Psalms,  from the The Daily Grace Co.

 I like to use the SOAP method of Bible study, and the journal from GMG uses a very similar method.  I find this method a real blessing whether I am studying shorter passages or longer ones, so I hope you'll give it a try if you haven't ever done so. Just a reminder that the S is for Scripture -- just write it out -- and the O is for Observation, the A is for Application and the P is for prayer -- concerning how you'll apply this verse or praise for what it means to you.

Today's study is from Psalm 128.  Today we were to focus on verse 1, but I chose to consider both verses 1 and 2. 

S=  "Blessed is every one that feareth the LORD, that walketh in His ways.
   "For thou shalt eat the labor of thine hands; happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee."     (Psalm 128:1-2)

O=  In the Scofield Reference Bible, C.I. Scofield titles this psalm: "Blessings on the home of the God-fearing."  We know that the word "blessed" means "happy".  So the person who is blessed is the one who:
* fears the Lord;
* walks in God's ways.
A marginal note directs me to Psalm 19:9 -- where a note explains that the "fear of the Lord" is an Old Testament expression meaning "reverential trust".  It includes the hatred of evil.
Verse 2 of Psalm 128 goes on to explain that the blessed person will eat the labor of his hands, will be satisfied, and will find that things will be well with him.

A=  God has definitely blessed me and has given me a deep-down, abiding happiness as I have sought to reverentially trust Him and to walk, however haltingly, in His ways.  I think the reverential aspect of trust comes as I consider God's character each day, and think of how He will bring His attributes to bear on my particular situation.  Going forward, whatever this uncertain life holds, I need to continue to fear the Lord and walk in His ways.

P=  "Lord, how I thank and praise You for Your Word and how it gives us all that we need for life.  I am so thankful for Your working in my life.  I pray that You will help me to maintain that reverential trust in You as I seek to walk in Your ways every day.  I thank You for all You will do, in Jesus' name, Amen."

And there is the next-to-last study in this little series.  I hope that it will encourage someone today!

2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed your Sunday Scriptures, and I hate to see them end. I've appreciated the SOAP method of study and find myself using it more and more as I read God's Word. And that reverential fear/trust of the Lord is so important in our daily living. Without that, I wonder how we would be able to cope with the things that come our way unexpectedly in life. But when we trust in God's grace and love, we know that He will work all things together for our good...(Romans 8:28) Wonderful food for thought this morning. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so busy at Christmastime...still, an Advent study would be very nice. Thank you for the Psalms to 129.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.