Sunday, November 07, 2021

Sunday Scripture

 


Once again, just a quick note for those who may be coming in late -- I've been posting each Sunday about a simple study of Psalms that I worked on throughout summer 2020.  It was a perfect study to be working on amid the uncertainties of that year -- and some of it was done sitting at picnic tables while camping in the midst of God's glorious creation.  There just couldn't have been a better backdrop --so awe-inspiring, and so many great reminders of God's amazing power and wisdom.

Although the study book covers all the rest of the book of Psalms, I only got as far as Psalm 129, so there will only be a few more posts in this series.  Some of you may be relieved!

This Psalms study is another from Good Morning Girls.  Although I love working on more in-depth Bible studies, these simpler ones are also a blessing to do.  In fact, once I finish the GMG Psalms study, I hope to tackle a more in-depth study of the same Psalms,  from the The Daily Grace Co.

 I like to use the SOAP method of Bible study, and the journal from GMG uses a very similar method.  I find this method a real blessing whether I am studying shorter passages or longer ones, so I hope you'll give it a try if you haven't ever done so. Just a reminder that the S is for Scripture -- just write it out -- and the O is for Observation, the A is for Application and the P is for prayer -- concerning how you'll apply this verse or praise for what it means to you.

Today's study is from Psalm 127.  Today we were to focus on verse 2. 

S=  "It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late; to eat the bread of sorrows; for so He giveth His beloved sleep."  (Psalm 127:2)

O=  This psalm carries a heading of "A Song of degrees for Solomon" -- and, according to C.I. Scofield, Solomon was its writer.  That interested me, because as I read the psalm I felt it read more like something from the book of Proverbs.  (Although I've read through Psalms a number of times in the past, this is the first time I noticed this.)  

It's true that hard work is important, but our trust must not be in work we've done but rather in the Lord.  He provides the work, gives the strength to work, and at the end of the day gives His people the gift of refreshing, renewing sleep.

A=  The older we get,  the more acutely aware we become of our need for sleep.  I've noticed that some people, as they age, seem to need a lot less sleep.  I personally (and my husband) seem to need a lot more sleep.  I am so thankful for God's gift of restorative sleep!   Each night I find myself asking God to protect us through the night and to help us sleep soundly and well.  He is faithful to do so.

P=  "Lord, How I thank You for the gift of restorative sleep that refreshes us for the labors of the coming day.  I praise You that we can lie down in peace, and sleep, knowing that in Your care we can rest safely.  I pray that You will help us to sleep peacefully each night, secure in our knowledge that You are taking care of us and You are in control.  I praise You in Jesus' name, Amen."

And there is this week's Sunday Scripture.  I must admit I'm feeling like a nap right about now ... what about you?  A Sunday afternoon nap can be a very good thing indeed!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I like Sunday afternoon naps. (My silly autocorrect changed that to Sunday afternoon moon naps. Good grief!)

    This verse is comforting..."useless to rise up early and sit up late" Yes, I can apply this to my life.

    I have enjoyed the series. Didn't want you to think otherwise.
    Have a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed this series of study also, and thank you for doing it each week. I don't think I've ever paid particular notice to that verse and now I am going to look it up and mark it. It speaks to me today, and I'm thinking it would also be a good verse for those who may be grieving. Yes, we definitely need more sleep as we age...we are in the habit of taking a short nap after lunch most every day. It is so very refreshing and especially for me with recovering from surgery I am finding it a necessity. And now with the time change, we find ourselves heading to bed "early" because it is so dark so early and after a while we just want to go to bed. But we do get up early and enjoy the morning hours most of all. Thank you for sharing God's Word with us faithfully. I appreciate your SOAP method of study and have found that very helpful as well. Have a blessed and beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.