Wednesday, November 17, 2021

A hodgepodge of grateful thoughts

 

 It's Wednesday again, where Joyce asks the questions and bloggers answer on their own blogs, linking up to the Wednesday Hodgepodge.  Here we go with the questions for this week:

1. It's often said we should be grateful for small blessings. What is one small blessing you are feeling especially grateful for today?

This is a very small one indeed in the scheme of things, but it is lifting my spirits this fall -- just the way even the smallest trees -- or maybe especially the smallest trees -- still have such glorious color.  The photos below are from the camp, a couple weeks ago, but this morning while walking I noticed some even tinier trees, hardly more than bushes, have some of the most beautiful, glowing red leaves.  Just a spirit lifter from the Lord!


2. How do you feel about leftovers, not just on Thanksgiving but after any meal? Favorite thing to make/eat using your Thanksgiving leftovers? 

We love leftovers in this house.   I like to incorporate them into another meal, but if there is only a small amount of something left over one of us will have it for lunch or even for breakfast.  For Thanksgiving leftovers, pumpkin or apple pie makes a great breakfast!  I also like, as mentioned in a previous hodgepodge post, a sandwich made with turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, lettuce, and plenty of mayo.

Pumpkin/Dutch apple pie -- one of our favorites

3. Sherwin Williams unveiled its 2022 Color of the Year-Evergreen Fog. Are you a fan? Would I find this mid-tone gray green shade anywhere in your house? Does your house need painting? Inside or out? What one space is most in need of a paint job? Are you a do-it-yourselfer or do you hire a professional? 

Oh!  I am a fan! This color is beautiful.  I love how calming it feels.  It's possible you might find this in my house.  It would be nice in the dining area if the kitchen colors were different -- or possibly on a bedroom wall.  Only a few walls in our home have paint and some have wallpaper; both need redoing but we are looking to cover most of them with V-groove pine.  We are definitely do-it-yourselfers.

4. What is one aspect of the way you were parented that you are grateful for today? 

Supper together around the table every night.   I'm beginning to realize that this can be a rarity for families today, and I believe that kids crave this time.   I'm very grateful to have grown up with this.  My mom was an amazing cook, and the supper table was a cheerful, comfortable place.

5. Write an acrostic for the word-thankful

T - Trustworthy God
H - Home (heavenly as well as earthly)
A - Abundant blessings
N - New life in Christ
K - Kids (and grandkids)
F - Friends and family
U - Undeserved grace of God
L - Life eternal; love, laughter and liberty

 


6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I just learned that a friend in another country who was very ill some months ago just had a checkup and is doing so well.  His lung function has increased to 92%.  A huge answer to prayer! 

 And that's the Hodgepodge for this week!  (Wouldn't you like to join in on the Hodgepodge, too?  To get the questions and link up, head over to From This Side of the Pond.)

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your answers and I love everyone's pictures of the fall leaves! They make me so happy! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful for your friend!

    I always enjoy your responses. Your acrostic is especially nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you on the beauty of even the smallest of trees this time of year. I think this is the prettiest fall we've had since living in SC. Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for the answer to prayer! Love your acrostic. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your post. Pie for breakfast? Absolutely! Dinners at home are some of my most cherished memories. Even when I moved into an apartment of my own, I went back for Saturday nights dinners, usually Mum's spaghetti. I'm happy to hear about your friend. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love walking in the woods and seeing shocks of color like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH yes, those little red leaf maples are so colorful and sweet. That is the most color we get here too, on the new leaves coming in on the maples that are bright red. We do have a few here and there and I love them. Yes, leftovers make good suppers...our son who lives with us makes quesadillas out of leftovers...very interesting creations he comes up with always make me wish I'd thought of that! And pie for breakfast...I'd go for that! Yes, we still try to always eat at the table together with our son who lives here when he gets home from work. Some nights he gets home late so we eat without him, but I feel like we've missed out on the best part of our day if we don't eat together. And the rule is no telephones!!! Hope you have a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your answers. That pie looks and sounds amazing. I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie, but I might like this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.