Thursday, May 25, 2023

A simple pleasure

 


 I'm taking one question from this week's Hodgepodge to answer.  No time to work on the entire list, so I chose the question 

What's your favorite simple pleasure?

Oh, there are so many simple pleasures I enjoy!  I could go on and on for quite awhile:  summer ice cream dates, autumn leaves, snowy winter days, the first spring blossoms, breezes wafting through screened windows, sharpening times with friends, time with grandchildren and their parents, time at the lakes and mountains of our state, sunrises and sunsets, campfires, picking strawberries and blueberries, walking an ocean beach -- and so many, many more.  


But the question was what's my favorite simple pleasure, so that narrowed it down quite a bit.  In her Hodgepodge post, Joyce noted that her morning coffee is that for her.  Sometimes she even looks forward to it the night before.


And I have to say that when I go to sleep at night (especially at our camp) I will be thinking of that first cup of coffee the next morning, as it will be accompanying my time in God's Word.

Oh, the simple joy of brewing a cup (or three) of coffee and sipping it as I read through God's Word in my Daily Walk Bible -- now my absolute favorite way to read through the whole Bible.
And then to work on my current Bible study.  As many know, I'm trying to finish up a study of Psalms 101-150.  I think I have eight more psalms to complete.  That's the study pictured at the top of the page.
I'm also working on a couple of Daily Grace studies, and so enjoying them, but they are taking a bit of a back seat while I finish up Psalms.  One is a discipleship study and the other is in Lamentations.
Then I continue sipping coffee while I have my prayer time.  This often takes me between 30 and 60 minutes, but it is a precious time of dealing with sin in my own life, praising God for who He is, and interceding for others.
I especially love it when I can have my coffee and quiet time at our little cottage.  It's particularly wonderful when we can have the big screened windows open and the sweet woodland breezes and birdsong are wafting in.
And it can be a cozy time at home too, especially in the dark, quiet early mornings when we turn on the pretty white lights in the living room.
Sometimes, if we have to travel for our volunteer jobs and must leave early in the morning, my hubby and I pray as we travel down the interstate.  He did this for years whenever he had a long commute to a logging job.
And speaking of travel, it's always a blessing to have my coffee and quiet time in any cabin or Airbnb where we might have traveled for a getaway.
If we happen to be at our favorite getaway cabin in the Great North Woods, there is nothing like coffee, Bible study and prayer down on the dock right next to Back Lake.
As I've gazed at all these photos of some of my well-loved simple pleasures, it has blessed me even more to remember that God's Word will last forever.  I may not always  have coffee, but I can always have God's Word -- especially if I have taken time to memorize part of it.
And that's why coffee and quiet time is my favorite simple pleasure.  What is yours?


7 comments:

  1. I loved reading this and seeing all the lovely pictures. I've been wanting to jump in on the Hodgepodge posts as they are so much fun to read. I think that will have to wait until after this very busy season as I'm finding it hard to even keep up with the Happy Homemaker posts. Enjoy the beautiful weather this week and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope that you can jump in on the Hodgepodge one of these weeks, Elisha! Even do as I've done a few times and answer just one of the questions.

      You have a wonderful weekend too!

      Delete
  2. It seems that I should merge coffee time and Bible reading time for a very pleasant experience. I loved all the photos you shared, especially the blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you really should, if you have never done so. It's a true simple pleasure for me and I'm sure you would find it so as well.

      Glad you enjoyed the photos. I could have gone on and on with them, but it was time to stop.

      Delete
  3. I think I share yours. Nothing like savoring the sips while filling my cup with His Word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing! I'm glad we share this favorite simple pleasure, Sandy.

      Delete
  4. this was so refreshing. I don't drink coffee, but a cup of tea will do just as well. I love to take a cup of tea with me out to the "Secret/Memorial Garden" and spend time there with the Lord, whether in reading His Word, or singing His praises, or just praying and talking to the Lord and listening for His voice...it's a very special time that I need to do more often. I do have morning devotions each morning with my hubby, but usually I've already had my cup of tea because I can't read out loud and sip tea at the same time before it gets cold. Your simple pleasures/pictures are all very enjoyable. I am happy I came along with you today. I needed this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.