Friday, June 01, 2012

Small steps to spiritual growth


For some time now -- months, at least, but more likely years -- I have been wanting to do more toward daily spiritual growth.  Yes, I have a good quiet time with God each day.  I read through the Bible on a more or less yearly basis, journal about what I read, and memorize Scripture.  I spend quality time in prayer.  I spend hours each week preparing for the ladies' Sunday School class I teach.  Yet there is so much more I want to do and learn! 

I enjoy Bible study, whether with a study book or on my own, and I also like to read books on spiritual topics that will help me grow.  I want to add to my prayer journal on a regular basis, too.  And I do all of these things, but sporadically.  For example, all of the work I put into my Sunday School lesson often means I can't do much with any other Bible study in a given week.  So I might only pick up the study I'm working on now and then -- while on vacation, for example.  I have really been pondering how I might fit in more of these growth-promoting activities.

The answer came as I began once again to implement a daily and weekly time schedule.

I have my weekly schedule page divided into four categories -- spiritual; home/family; ministry; and health.  This week as I began to fill in my weekly schedule on Sunday evening, a thought struck me.  Why not incorporate some of these things I wanted to do into the various days of the week, according of course to how busy each day looked?  Some of these activities obviously take less time than others.

So my week looked like this:  Monday -- read chapter in Essential Virtues; Tuesday -- work on inductive Bible study; Wednesday -- make 1 new prayer journal page (this one was in the spiritual blessings category); Thursday -- make 1 new prayer journal page (this one was in the character flaws/sin issues category); Friday -- read 1 chapter in Essential Virtues; Saturday -- work on inductive Bible study.

And so each day as I make the daily schedule, I plug in the spiritual growth activity for that day.  And it is working!  I can't tell you how encouraged I am by this simple plan!

9 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I know that my prayer list often becomes an "i Wish" list instead of consecrated prayer. So that is one thing I want to work on this year! For my Bible study, i usually listen to J Vernon McGee on my ipad. I downloaded Through the Bible app and I can listen at any time of the day. That is really helpful as my days are never the same with keeping my grands this summer. Thank for being an encouragement to me Mrs T!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arlene, you are very welcome! I am so happy that I could be an encouragement to you! I am praying for you as you look after the grands this summer -- I know it takes additional energy. But the blessings and opportunities will be endless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if my comment worked here? I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Christine! I am glad you enjoyed the post. Stop in and visit again anytime -- and you might enjoy browsing around the archives, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this. I've been attempting to be more consistent with a daily quiet time and have been challenged to schedule my day more also. I love how you put in specific things for each day. I will definitely be trying your idea!

    It's always fun to see how God provides even the "little" ideas to help us when we are seeking Him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea! Years ago, I tried following Managers of Their Homes (MOTH), using a daily schedule to help with homemaking and homeschooling our children. I wasn't very successful with it, but this principle is one that was taught - make a list of the things you want to do, then plug them in to the time slot where they would fit. So I've known the principle a long time, but have never really implemented it. Maybe now's the time?! Thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ladies!

    Elisha -- I couldn't agree more! It is always so neat how God provides even the little things to help us when we truly seek to please Him and ask for His help -- and even sometimes when we forget to ask! I am so thankful that He brought this simple thought to my mind -- a thought I wouldn't have had if I hadn't felt convicted that I needed to start scheduling my weeks and days again.

    Susan -- yes, I too learned about this concept some time ago, from one of Elizabeth George's books. I think I shared in a previous post how she compared it to a bouquet -- just stuffing flowers in a vase any old way vs. placing them carefully to the best effect. I did have this type of scheduling in place during the busiest and most stressful time in my life [so far, that is] and I can say definitively that it really works. I encourage you to give it a good try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Mrs. T,
    You are such an encouragement to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nikki,

    You are very welcome! It is exciting to me how God uses us as Christian ladies to encourage one another. Hope you had a very nice birthday yesterday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.